Sunday, January 1, 2012

Again: Chapter 3



Characters belong to SM and any films, songs, recognizable places, etc. belong to their respective owners.
 
Chapter 3

Minneapolis, December 1998

I was a sweaty, mascara-streaked, alcohol-infused hot mess the first time I met
Edward Cullen.

It was New Years Eve, and I was a freshman in college. After many attempts,
Rose and Kate had finally persuaded me to accompany them to a frat party. I
was still somewhat of an introvert, the small town, country girl, learning how to
navigate the big university campus in the Twin Cities, a fact that my two friends
had grown used to. They insisted we go out and celebrate somewhere other
than our dorm, however. It was our first New Years Eve away from our parental
homes and that was cause enough for celebration. So, I reluctantly agreed to
paint the town as red as the skimpy red dress Rose had outfitted me in.

I should have known better than to think I'd actually spend the evening with
Rose and Kate. It only took an hour for the girls to lip-lock themselves to a pair
of tall, dark, and devilishly handsome guys, which left me flying solo in a house
full of people I'd never met before. So, I did what any shy, young woman would
do: found the wapatoolie, and went to town.

Three glasses of the fruity concoction was all it took to turn me into Bella Swan,
life of the party. I went from social anxiety to social butterfly in a matter of an
hour. I dragged Mike Newton on top of the pool table when Shaggy's "Luv Me
Luv Me" came on and spent the next five minutes grinding against him while
everyone around us cat called and cheered. I smoked a joint with Royce King
and Riley Biers and won a game of quarters against Bree Tanner. I danced, I
drank, I laughed, and I drank some more, before finally finding myself dancing
solo in the corner of the overly crowded living rom. I was completely unaware of
the time, but when someone slipped a pair of glittery "1999" glasses on my face
and handed me a noisemaker, I knew the countdown was nearing.

"Ten … nine … " A chorus of voices rose above the ridiculously loud dance music
but I stayed in the corner of the room, head tilted back and eyes closed,
swaying my hips to the beat of the song.

I didn't need to look behind me to know he was there. The fine hairs on the
back of my neck rose to attention and I shivered, not from the air brushing over
my exposed skin, but from the electric current that had started humming
through my veins. The soft fabric of his shirt brushed against the back of my
shoulders and I gasped, blinking my eyes open. I stilled my movements and
attempted to turn around so I could see who was there, but he grasped my hips
and squeezed gently.

"Keep dancing," he whispered. A sheen of sweat covered my skin and as his hot
breath fanned over it, goosebumps pebbled up on my arms. I closed my eyes
and swallowed, feeling remarkably sober despite all I'd had to drink. He
squeezed my hips again and it was the encouragement I needed. I began to
sway back and forth once more, losing myself in the music, the noise, and the
feel of his fingertips pressing against me.

"Six … five … four … " I opened my eyes once more as he brushed the hair away
from my neck. His fingers were like fire, igniting every inch of skin they brushed
over and making all the blood in my veins rush to the surface.

"Three … two …" He spun me around before I could process what he was doing.
My eyes landed on his hard chest, covered in a red and black plaid flannel shirt.
My gaze traveled upward, over his perfect neck and stubble-covered, angular
jaw, before settling on his eyes. They were beautiful, and the same shade as the
first fresh sprigs of grass that crop up after winter gives way to spring. Fiery
passion danced behind them and I wanted to stay right there, forever lost in the
basil hued depths.

"One." His lips pressed against mine, soft yet firm, giving and taking.
Noisemakers blew off around us, confetti flittered down through the air, landing
in my hair and sticking to my skin, but I didn't notice any of that. All of my
attention was focused solely on the nameless stranger with the captivating eyes.

I eased my lips open and felt his tongue slide against mine—welcoming,
exploring, pushing and teasing. I'd never been kissed like this, like the world
might end and take both of us with it if we broke apart and lost our connection.
I gripped his shoulders and pulled him flush against me. I couldn't get close
enough to him. I wanted to claw my way up him, crawl inside, and get lost in
every single part of him.

He pulled away and sucked in a breath, resting his forehead against mine and
pressing a kiss to the corner of my mouth. His teeth nibbled across my bottom
lip and I moaned, tipping my head back farther to give him better access to it.
His assault continued as his lips traveled along my jaw, down my neck and
across my collarbone. I was vaguely aware of the sounds of whistling and
clapping coming from somewhere close to us, but I couldn't focus on anything
but the feel of his warm, soft lips.

"Happy New Year," he murmured, nibbling gently on one of my earlobes.

"Happy New Year," I answered, kissing his jaw. He pulled back and cupped my
face between his hands, staring at me for a moment before pressing his lips to
my forehead one last time. Then his hands were off of me and he was gone,
striding quickly toward the front door.

I stood rooted in place, wondering what had just happened and what the hell I
had done to cause it to end. I wanted to run after him but my feet were
cemented to the ground. I kept watching his retreating form, holding my breath
when he came to a stop and turned around. His gaze roamed over me and when
his eyes reached my face, he simply winked.

I snapped out of whatever trance I was in and bolted forward, weaving my way
around the still-dancing bodies and flying out the front door. My stranger was
halfway down the front walk, hands shoved in his pockets and chin tucked
against his chest.

"Wait!" I yelled. A few of the people mingling on the porch turned to face me,
but I ignored their stares. The icy winter air prickled against my skin as I slid
my feet out of my heels. I ran barefoot down the snow-covered steps and
across the lawn, ignoring the stinging sensations on the bottom of my feet.

"Wait," I called again, jumping in front of my stranger and effectively blocking
his path. He raised his head and smiled, his breath coming out as small, foggy
bursts in the night air.

"Your name." He cocked his head to the side and furrowed his brows. English,
Bella! Full sentences! I crossed my arms over my chest and cleared my throat.
"Don't I at least get your name?"

My stranger smiled—an ear-to-ear, face-splitting smile that lit up the street
more than the stream of moonlight that shone down on us. He ran a hand
through his coppery-brown hair and let out a throaty laugh.

"Why is that so funny?" I asked.

My stranger slid his hands back into his pockets and nudged me to the side with
his shoulder as he pushed past me. He turned around and continued walking
backwards away from me, the same smile in place.

"You're really not going to tell me your name?"

He shook his head. "Just think of me as the luckiest god damn guy at this
party."

My cheeks flushed and I bit my lip to stop the infatuated girl smile that
threatened to break free. "Luckiest guy at the party, huh? And why is that?"

I didn't think it was possible, but he grinned even wider. "Because I rang in my
new year by kissing the most beautiful girl there."

He turned and walked away once more, leaving me and my, pounding-like-
crazy, heart there on the street, grinning like a god damned fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment