Sunday, January 1, 2012

Again: Epilogue


Characters belong to SM and any films, songs, recognizable places, etc. belong to their respective owners.
 
Epilogue

Chicago, February 2015

"Watch your step!" Edward grabs my elbow and stops me from completely face
planting.

"My god, how many flights of stairs are you taking me up?!"

He chuckles behind me. "One more and we'll be there."

"Do I dare ask what you've got up your sleeve?"

"You'll see soon enough." Edward lets go of my elbow. "Please don't move. The
last thing we need is a trip to the hospital added into our festivities."

I laugh and lean against the wall while he does whatever he needs to do.
Moments later, I'm guided forward and the blindfold on my head is finally lifted.

"Surprise!"

I open my eyes and gasp, covering my mouth with my hands. We're in a loft— a
much, much bigger loft than the one we once shared in Minneapolis. There are
floor to ceiling windows again, only this time they look out over Michigan
Avenue and the lake.

"Holy shit, Edward. This view is incredible!"

"I had a feeling you'd love it." He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me
against him, until my back is flush with his front. "Navy Pier is over there," he
points in one direction, "Lincoln Park is up that way, and your favorite beach is
somewhere out there on the other side of that building."

"Show me the rest?" He takes me around, showing off hardwood floors, two
fireplaces, granite countertops, and stainless steel appliances. The bedroom has
a balcony attached to it, and I can already see us sitting out there on Saturday
mornings, coffee in hand as he paints and I read a book. It's our own slice of
heaven amidst the otherwise bustling city, and I love it.

"There's even a fireplace," Edward is as giddy as a kid on Christmas morning
when he shows me this part of the living room.

"Is this ours? You're not teasing me or anything, are you?"

He shakes his head and strides to the kitchen, where he pulls a bouquet of red
roses and a small gift bag from one of the cupboards. "Happy Valentine's Day,
baby." I peek inside the bag and gasp. A Tiffany & Co. box sits comfortably
inside, with a set of house keys tied to the ribbon. I pull the box out and take
the keys off carefully, slipping them into the pocket of my jeans. I open the box
next and my heart starts to race. There, nestled inside a blanket of velvet, is a
gorgeous ring. The entire band consists of tiny X's and O's, with the top four O's
filled in with a diamond. I pull the ring from the cushion and hold it up to the
light.

"Edward, this is beautiful. But it's too much," I say.

He closes the gap between us, taking the ring from my hand and sliding it onto
the fourth finger of my right hand. "Nothing is too much for you, Bella." He
presses lips to the ring on my finger, and I shiver from the feel of his touch.

"I love the diamonds."

"Well, I figure since we aren't quite ready for a big diamond, four small ones
should hold you over until the time is right." I giggle at his confession, sliding
my hands up his chest and over his shoulders. I pull him into a tight embrace,
burying my face in the side of his neck.

"What did I do to deserve you?"

He pulls away and gazes down at me. "I ask myself that question every single
day."

We've come so far in the last year, but we still have so much ahead of us.

A life full of love, laughter, and memories.

A blank canvas with which we can create our own brilliant slice of art.

And four tiny diamonds to guide us along our way…

Until we're ready for a bigger one.

No comments:

Post a Comment