Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hot Commodity: Chapter 4 - Putting Plans in Motion




Characters belong to SM. Everything else belongs to me.

Chapter 4 – Putting Plans in Motion

Edward's POV

"Mmmm … Edward, oh my god." Her cries were a bit loud but I didn't care. That only meant I was living up to my reputation.

I didn't remember her name but at this point that didn't matter. She'd approached me at the bar and I liked that. It was nice to know there were some women out there who weren't afraid to go after what they wanted instead of sitting back and waiting for the man to make the first move.

This woman was stunning – especially in her current position. Her brown hair cascaded messily across the pillow, with a few stray strands clinging to her damp forehead. Her clear blue eyes were half closed and her full lips hung open in ecstasy. Her arms were spread out across the bed and her fists were clenching the sheets as I drove into her.

I pulled her legs up until her calves rested on my shoulders. I turned my head, giving her ankle a small kiss before slamming my cock into her as hard as I could. She let out an indecipherable scream as I pulled all the way out, rubbing the head over her sensitive nub slowly and gently. I enjoyed teasing her, bringing her to the edge and then pulling the rug out from under her. And, truth be told, I was nearing my own release, and I wanted the moment to last for just a few minutes longer.

In one swift motion, I rolled onto my back and lifted her over me. She grabbed my cock, steadying it beneath her, and sank down on it.

"Uhhhh," was all I could manage. She was warm, wet, and tight and I loved the way I felt inside of her. She began to move up and down, riding me quickly, her hair flying wildly around her face. I reached up and grabbed one of her breasts with my hand, pinching her nipple hard and raising my hips to meet her. My other hand went straight to her clit. I rubbed the swollen skin in circles with my thumb, watching as she came undone before me.

"Edward, Edward." She slid herself up and down my cock faster, grabbing my hair and pulling my head to her. Her lips found mine and she devoured me between shallow, heavy breaths. "Just like that, just like … YESSSSS! AHHHH!"

Her pussy tightened around my cock and I knew she'd reached her peak. I couldn't hold out any longer myself and I knew I was about to find my own climax.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck … UHHHH!" My back arched off the bed and my hips rose one final time as I released my load into the condom. The nameless brunette fell limp across my chest, planting a kiss on each of my nipples. We both lay still in the dark, enjoying the relaxing after effects of a good orgasm.

She rolled off of me and I glanced at my alarm clock. Fuck, how did it get to be three am so quickly? I had my meeting with Bella at ten and I needed to be on top of my game.

"Look, I'd love to have you stay but I have a meeting early tomorrow…" She stuck one finger over my lips and shook her head at me.

"I wasn't planning on staying." She stood up and slipped her thong and bra on before looking for her dress. "I know who you are. I know the rules. In after the sun goes down, out before it comes back up."

I smirked and headed to the bathroom. I cleaned myself off, took a much-needed piss, and wandered towards the front door. She had her back to me and I heard myself let out a quiet growl at the sight. I hate to see you go baby, but I LOVE to watch you leave. I was a fucking pig, but for some reason the ladies loved it.

I ran my hand down her back, squeezing her ass and giving it a light slap. I leaned in and kissed her neck before whispering in her ear. "What did you say your name was?"

"Chloe," she breathed. I spun her around so she was facing me again and pressed my mouth against hers, running my tongue along her bottom lip and cupping her face in my hands. Her lips parted and I felt her tongue slip between my teeth ever so slowly. I caressed it with mine and allowed myself to 
explore her mouth one last time.

"It was a pleasure Chloe. Call me if you're ever lonely." I opened the door and she stepped out wordlessly. I locked it behind her, heading back to my room and slipping between the rumpled sheets. The bed smelled like a combination of sweat, sex, and Chloe's perfume.

Her words echoed in my mind: "I know who you are. I know the rules. In after the sun goes down, out before it comes back up." Was that really the guy I wanted to be at this age?

That was the last thought on my mind before I fell fast asleep.

Bella's POV

I pulled yet another outfit from my closet and held it up in the mirror. This was ensemble number five and I still wasn't satisfied. After looking like a complete mess at our first meeting on Wednesday, I was determined to look as put together as possible when I saw Edward this morning.

I settled on a black pencil skirt, a pair of knee-high boots Alice had given me for my last birthday, and a taupe colored wrap around top. I threw on some makeup, straightened my hair, and grabbed a bagel – a plain one this time – before heading out.

Starbucks was packed, as usual. The crisp October air drove everyone, including myself, inside for hot drinks. I took a spot at the end of the line and pulled my notepad out. I was busy going through my mile-long list of things to do when it was my turn to order.

"I'll have a skinny cappuccino with an extra shot of espresso and extra foam." I was reaching in my purse to pay the barista when a hand shot past the side of my head.

"I'll take care of hers. Add mine on there too please, James." He handed him a twenty and motioned for James to put the change in the tip jar. His voice made my skin crawl. You better get used to hearing it Swan, he's your client now. I slipped my notepad back into my shoulder bag and turned around.

"I could have gotten that myself you know." I was deliberately snotty. I'd have to learn to curb that too – or stop it all together – now that I was representing him.

"I'm sure you could have." Edward grabbed our drinks and handed me mine before we went back out into the busy New York street. "But since I was here and you were here, I thought I'd buy it for you as a peace offering."

"Giving your publicist peace offerings before you've even signed a contract is never a good sign." I lit a cigarette and quickened my pace. Why did this man make me so nervous?

"Bella." He grabbed my shoulder gently and spun me around to face him. "We both know I was an asshole last weekend."

"Don't forget your charming performance in my office on Wednesday."

"I was an asshole then too." He raked a hand through his hair and looked down at me. "I wish I had some good explanation for my behavior but the fact is I don't. So, I'd like to apologize to you for how I behaved in the past and promise you that it will never happen again going forward."

I wanted to look away but I couldn't. His eyes were filled honesty. It was evident by the way he rocked nervously on his feet that he wasn't used to apologizing, and I guessed this was a pretty big deal for him. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, swallowing the lump of nerves in my throat. 
As much as I wanted to keep putting up the bitch front, I knew we needed to be civilized to one another if we were going to develop a successful working relationship.

"Apology accepted." I butted my cigarette and grabbed his sleeve, pulling him in the direction of my office. "That doesn't mean you're off the hook though. I've dealt with your kind before and I'm pretty good when it comes to seeing through the bullshit. So, let's try not to have any more bullshit, okay? Let's do ourselves both a favor and leave what's already happened in the past behind us. Our focus from here on out is on the future – your future specifically. There's contracts to sign, questions to answer, and I have a conference call at noon that I can't miss."

"Whatever you say boss." He smirked and followed me into the building. One crowded elevator and a brief encounter with an overly excited Alice later, and we were sitting in my office with a dozen documents spread out before us.

"I wasn't able to get you the finished product, but I sweet-talked my publisher out of a manuscript." He slid the thick pile of papers across the table towards me.

"Invest Today, Retire Tomorrow: Financial Stability for Today's Millennials," I read the title out loud. His cheeks flushed with embarrassment and I couldn't help but smile. I was impressed as I flipped through the pages. There was some good stuff in it and it looked easy enough to market. The fact that he'd tailored the material to his own generation would come in handy down the road, especially with possible book signings and interviews.

"You hate it, don't you?' he blurted out. Mr. Perfect had some closeted insecurities. This discovery both shocked and delighted me.

"I don't hate it. I'm not the author's biggest fan, but the book definitely has potential." I grabbed a few pieces of paper off the table and set them in front of him. "These are the contracts. I didn't even consider that you might want to have them looked over by your attorney, so if you do, I completely understand."

His flipped through the pages quickly, his eyes skimming over the words. He grabbed a pen out of his bag and signed next to the sticky tabs I'd placed on each page before handing them back to me. 

"No lawyer is needed. I trust you."

"Perfect!" I strode down the hall and made several copies of the contracts. I handed a set to Edward and reached out to shake his hand.

"So, what's next?"

"Well, I'll make some calls this afternoon and see what I can arrange for the TV circuit. Most people get started on that two or three weeks before the book comes out, you know, to generate publicity." I leaned back in my chair and crossed my legs. "I'll talk to a few of my contacts at Forbes, the Times, and the Journal and see if I can arrange for some features. And next week I'll send out a round of press releases to the necessary people."

"Jesus." He looked flustered. "I didn't realize how much work went into all this."

"You have no idea." I stood up. "Leave the work to me and we'll talk on Monday. I'm sure you've got a harem lined up to help you enjoy your weekend."

He was taken aback for a split second, but then chuckled and looked down at his hands. "Harems really aren't my style. I'm more of a spontaneous guy. Routines bore me."

"I almost think a harem would be better in this situation." I looked at the clock and straightened the stack of papers on my desk. "I've got to get on this conference call. I'll be in touch with you on Monday."

He ran his hands through his hair and shoved them in his pockets. "Have a good weekend Bella."

"Try not to contract any spontaneous diseases Edward." He gave me a weird look before shaking his head and leaving. Try not to contract any spontaneous diseases? How stupid are you?

I grabbed a bottle of water from my mini-fridge and settled in at my desk. I was good at what I did and I knew it. Edward did too, that's why he came to me for representation.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that Swan.

As long as I kept up the bitch act he'd continue to be professional.

Or so I hoped.

Edward's POV

I looked around the crowded bar anxiously. It was almost nine thirty. They should have been here an hour ago.

"Are you sure we're in the right place?" Jasper drained the rest of his beer and set the empty bottle down harder than necessary.

He'd asked me this question three times now. I couldn't stop the irritation from seeping into my voice. "Yes I'm sure. Alice said 57th and Park."

"God I hope this doesn't backfire."

I felt bad enough for eavesdropping on Alice's conversation when I was leaving her and Bella's office the day before. Now I felt worse because my best friend was so fucking nervous I feared he might lose his dinner. And who said I didn't have a conscience?

"Relax man. I'm sure they got held up at dinner or something. You know how the city is on a Saturday night." I looked around the room again and this time my eyes found Bella. Her group occupied a large table in the front corner.

I nudged Jasper with my elbow and grabbed my drink. "I see them. Let's go." I wove my way through the throng of people and sidled up behind her chair. "Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

Her body stiffened but she didn't turn around. I wasn't sure if this was good or bad, so I pretended not to notice.

"Edward! What are you doing here? Did Bella invite you?" Alice rose from her chair and gave me a hug. She was obviously tipsy. I shook my head and scoffed at the notion that Bella would invite me anywhere, let alone to a bar.

"Bella and I have a purely professional relationship, in case you hadn't heard." She stiffened once more and I had to bite my lip to avoid laughing. "My friend Jasper and I were just having drinks at the bar and I saw your group. Small world, huh?" I introduced Jasper to everyone at the table. It wasn't until I got to Bella that I realized she hadn't come alone.

I stuck my hand out and grinned at the stranger sitting next to her. "I don't believe we've met."

"This is Mike Newton. Mike, meet the oh so un-charming and tactless Edward Cullen." She waved her hand back and forth between us.

"Nice to meet you! Bella has told me so much about you!" I cocked an eyebrow at the back of her head and watched as a blush crept up her neck and onto her cheeks.

"All good things, I'm sure." I smirked.

"Would you like to join us? We can squeeze a few more chairs in here," Emmett said, scooting his over. Rosalie and Alice followed suit. I soon found myself sandwiched between Jasper and Bella.

"I hear Bella is representing you now?" Rosalie pulled an olive off the garnish stick in her martini and popped it in her mouth.

"Reluctantly representing me, yes." I elbowed Bella playfully, trying to lighten the mood between us. "She didn't go down without a fight though."

She smirked and glanced at me out the corner of her eye. "I'm not one to back down easily Cullen. 
Besides, you're a hot commodity. Representing you will open dozens of doors for me."

It never occurred to me that Bella might have ulterior motives of her own in this deal. Two were playing this game and it pissed me off. "Ms. High and Mighty is actually using me for her own professional gain? Who would have thought?" Jasper kicked me hard under the table.

"I really don't think you have any room to judge Mr. I'll-Sleep-With-Anything-With-Two-Legs-And-Tits." Alice's eyes grew wide and Mike shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

I had two options here – I could continue to bicker with her and ruin the evening for everyone else or I could walk away, find my fix for the night, and go home. I decided to take the high road; well, my definition of the high road anyway.

"If you'll excuse me, I believe there's a very attractive creature with two legs and tits eyeing me across the bar." I stood up and straightened the collar on my shirt. "Alice, it was lovely seeing you again. I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you in the coming weeks, assuming your partner here chips some of the ice off of that heart of hers. It was nice to meet you Mike. Emmett, Rosalie, take care." She didn't even look up at me. I pushed my chair in roughly and headed towards the men's room. Jasper entered a minute later.

"Dude, what the fuck was that all about? I didn't realize you two were so hostile towards each other! How the hell are you going to work together?"

"I have no idea," I said through clenched teeth. I took a few deep breaths and checked my reflection in the mirror. "I had every intention of being nice to her until she started insulting me. I know I have a reputation, but Jesus what the hell did I ever do to her?" You tried to hook up with her and sexually harassed her within the first five minutes of meeting her, my conscience sang out.
Jasper's shoulders sunk and he ran a hand through his wavy brown hair. "I guess this means we're 
leaving?"

"No, no, you go back there and get to know Alice. That's why we came tonight, right?" I gave him a weak smile and patted his shoulder. "I'm going to grab a few drinks with that vixen at the bar and head home. "

"Are you sure? As much as I'd love to get to know Alice, you're like a brother to me. I don't want to leave you high and dry."

I smiled at his concern. "I insist. I'll catch up with you at the gym tomorrow." Jasper shrugged and headed back to the bar. I splashed some water on my face, tousled my hair, and unfastened the first two buttons of my shirt. Bella was getting under my skin and I couldn't let her do that. I needed to relax, focus on the bet, and learn to shut my mouth even when she infuriated me.

I walked to the bar and slid onto the stool next to the red headed bombshell. One hour and three drinks later I learned that her name was Leah, she worked in an art gallery downtown, and had a five year old at home. I was a firm believer in giving MILFs the attention they deserved, and when I asked her to come back to my place she gladly accepted.

I paid for our drinks and helped her with her coat. I glanced across the room as I led her to the door. 

Bella's eyes were glued to me. I couldn't make out the expression on her face, but it almost looked like … jealousy? Nah, I thought to myself. She was probably just judging me some more. I was behaving exactly like she accused me of.

For a moment I felt bad. I pushed the thoughts out of my head and placed my hand on the small of Leah's back.

I took once last glance over my shoulder and watched Bella roll her eyes and turn back towards her table.

You're just my publicist, Ms. Swan, I thought bitterly. Besides, you were the one who said it – I'm nothing more than a hot commodity.

No comments:

Post a Comment