Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hot Commodity: Chapter 8 - On the Edge



Characters belong to SM. Everything else belongs to me.

Chapter 8 – On the Edge

Bella's POV

I was sweaty and out of breath by the time I made it to the diner. I bolted inside and fell into the chair across from Rose.

"Jesus Bella, are you training for the New York Marathon?" Rose handed me a napkin and I wiped away the beads of sweat that clung to my forehead.

"I overslept," I said, grabbing the glass of water in front of me and gulping down half of it. "I ran all the way from 86th."

"Well, at least you don't have to go to the gym today," Alice joked. I made a show of scanning the menu, even though I knew it by heart. Rose wasted no time getting down to business after we'd ordered.

" I trust that you're both coming to the opening of New Moon on Friday night?" Rose fixed us with her "you-don't-have-a-choice-in-this-matter" stare. New Moon was Emmett's latest Broadway masterpiece, and I knew Rose would kill me if I didn't make it.

I sipped my coffee and pretended to contemplate my answer. "I don't know if my startlingly busy social calendar will permit me to attend that event." Rose shot daggers at me with her eyes and I giggled. "Of course I'll be there. You've only been gushing about it for the last week!"

Rose reached in her bag and pulled out a grouping of plastic covered passes. "We have front row center seats and we get to walk to the carpet beforehand."

"Oh great." I rolled my eyes and stabbed at my English muffin. "Now everyone can paint me out to be the pathetic fifth wheel friend with no date."

"Don't worry, I've got that covered for you!" Alice chimed in.

"What?" Rose and I blurted out at the same time.

"I'm bringing Jasper," Alice said matter-of-factly. My ears perked up at the mention of Edward's best friend. "I told him he should invite Edward too."

I felt the blood drain from my face. "Bella, are you alright?" Rose's face now held a mixture of concern and surprise. "You look like you're going to be sick."

"Are you still worried about being around Edward?" Alice rolled her eyes and sighed in exasperation. "Honestly Bella, you've been working wonderfully together for the past few weeks, and you survived another round of trash rag hocus pocus-"

"Another round of what?" I interrupted.

Alice shrunk down in her seat and leaned away from me. "Oh dear. You haven't seen the article, I take it?" I shook my head no. "It was published on Tuesday. I'm sure you can find it on Google."

"Thanks Alice, that's really comforting." I rested my forehead against the table and covered the top of my head with my hands. "I kissed Edward."

Rose dropped her spoon. "You what?"

"I kissed Edward," I repeated, trying to keep my voice calm.

Alice turned her chair to face me and clapped her hands excitedly. "I knew there was a reason why you two were getting along so well. This is so exciting! We can go on double dates, and-"

"Stop!" I interrupted, throwing my hands up in the air. "I kissed Edward and then I bolted out of his car like some juvenile teenager."

"What were you doing in his car? When did this even happen?" Rose looked confused.

"Friday night, when you two were out on your dates." I stuffed a piece of cantaloupe in my mouth and chewed before continuing. "I was home alone and for the first time in years I actually cared. 
There you two were, out on the town with these amazing guys, and I was sitting around staring at the wall like a loser. I didn't know who else to call."

"Bella." Rosalie clearly wasn't buying anything I said. "Emmett and I weren't 'out on the town' and you know it. We were having a low key night at my apartment and you were more than welcome to join us, as I told you that morning."

Alice looked offended. "How is it possible I didn't know about this until now? I can't believe you didn't say anything yesterday when we talked!"

"I was still in denial yesterday." I pushed my eggs around on my plate, focusing my attention on the soggy yellow and white mess in front of me. "I know you invited me over Rose, but really, I don't want to be the odd one out, and that's exactly how I'd feel."

Rose reached out and squeezed my hand. "I'd never think of you like that, Bell. Neither would Emmett. In fact, I'd love for you to spend more time with him and I. I want you and Alice both to get to know him, because I think he's going to be a permanent fixture from here on out."

"Thank you hon, and I know you would never treat me like that. I must have a complex or something."

"You don't have a complex, Bella. You're just human." Alice got a wicked gleam in her eyes. "Now tell us, who kissed who?"

I couldn't help but smile. Alice was being Alice. "He kissed me."

"You kissed him back though, right?" Rose leaned forward on her elbows. As caring as she was, she was clearly eager for gossip. If they weren't the two people closest to me I probably would have scolded them both. "I mean, it wasn't one of those awkward one-way kisses was it?"

"No, it definitely wasn't one-way." I tipped my head back and sighed, covering my eyes in embarrassment. "I fully participated in the tonsil hockey activities."

"This is SO exciting! I have to text Jasper!" Alice reached for her cell phone, but I grabbed it before she had a chance.

"No, no, no you are NOT telling Jasper anything!" I stuffed her phone in my pocket and frowned. "I am not going to be the focal point of gossip for you, especially since Jasper is such good buddies with Edward. Besides, I'm sure he already told Jasper all about what a freak I am."

"I doubt that." Rose paid for our meals again and I said a silent thank you to Emmett for coming along and taming our own wild shrew. Rose hadn't been this generous since our college years. "Men like that don't just sit around and gossip. Only Newton does that."

"And Laurent!" Alice piped in.

"Who?" I asked.

"Laurent," Alice repeated. "He owns this restaurant Jasper brought me to. I've been thinking about setting him up with Mike."

"Remember what happened last time you tried to set Newton up with someone?" Rose closed her eyes and shook her head at the memory. Alice was always trying to play matchmaker and last year she decided to set Mike up with Caius, the son of a close family friend. Of course none of us realized 
Caius was a dom until Mike refused to be a sub. The next thing we knew, Alice got a text message begging her to come to Newton's rescue. She found him cowering in the corner of Caius's "rec room," wearing a pair of assless leather pants and a collar. Mike refused to speak to Alice for a month and I was almost positive he'd never agree to go on a blind date again.

Alice frowned. "Laurent isn't Caius." She turned her attention back to me. "What are you going to do about Edward? When will you see him again?"

I shrugged. "We don't have any meetings this week, thank God. I probably won't see him until the show on Friday, and that's only if he decides to come."

"You need to call him before then, Bella." Rose stood up stretched. Alice and I followed outside, lighting cigarettes when we were far enough from the café door.

"Rose is right, Bell. If he was anyone else it wouldn't matter, but he is your client now. You can't just avoid him."

I slumped forward and let out a big sigh. "I know, I know. I'll call him, I just need to think of what 
I'm going to say."

Rose stared at me for a moment and then her eyes lit up. "I think you're in need of some retail therapy." I started to protest but she covered my mouth with her hand. "It'll take your mind off of this whole Edward situation and it will give you a chance to get a new outfit for the show on Friday."

I knew I had no chance of winning this war, so I gave in. "Fine, fine," I held my hands up in a gesture of surrender. "I'll go shopping."

Alice rolled her eyes and put her hands on her hips. "I see how it is, Swan. You go shopping with Rose but not with me." I shrugged helplessly. Alice smiled and gave us both air kisses on our cheeks. "I'm just kidding. I promised Mom I'd help her work on planning for some Thanksgiving banquet anyways."

We said our goodbyes to Alice and Rose grabbed my hand, dragging me towards her car. The sound of a familiar voice stopped us both in our tracks.

"Bella!"

I turned around and was greeted by his chiseled jaw and muscular neck. He said something else, but 
I was too busy staring at his adams apple to hear what it was.

I forced myself to look up, taking in his stubble coated chin and crooked smile. My eyes met his and 
I was instantly pulled in by the intensity of his stare.

"Two days, five text messages, and one jog later I finally get in touch with you." I heard Rose snicker next to me.

I gulped. I was blushing profusely. I couldn't even formulate a coherent sentence.

"Are you going to say something?" Rose whispered in my ear. Edward was staring expectantly at me. I had no idea what to so say, so I just said the first thing that came to mind.

"Fuck me."

Edward's POV

My jogging by Bella's Sunday morning hangout was no accident. She hadn't answered any of my calls or returned any of my texts since Friday night. I didn't know what time she met the girls for brunch, only that it was their weekend ritual. I was pleasantly surprised to find her and Rosalie standing outside the diner when I jogged up.

"Bella!" I called out. Her body visibly tensed up and she turned around slowly, avoiding my eyes. I said hello to Rosalie while Bella stared at my throat like she was in a trance. An awkward silence filled the air and I smiled uncomfortably. Eventually Rosalie nudged her and whispered something in her ear, causing Bella to finally meet my eyes.

"Two days, five text messages, and one jog later I finally get in touch with you," I joked. Rosalie rolled her eyes and snickered. Bella's cheeks turned red and she swallowed hard.

"Fuck me," she blurted out. Rosalie's eyes grew wide and she covered her mouth with her hand. It was quite clear that she was trying to suppress her laughter. Bella's cheeks grew redder and she hit her palm against her forehead.

"Uh, it's good to see you too." I wasn't sure what to say and I didn't want to make some smart assed comment. I'd caused enough verbal damage with Bella in the past and I didn't want to create any more for the future.

"Did I mention I suffer from a condition called 'perpetual word vomit disorder' on weekend mornings?" Bella relaxed a bit and smiled.

I decided to play along with her. "No, but I'll keep that in mind for future reference."

Rosalie squeezed Bella's arm lightly. "I'm going to wait in the car, Bell. Take your time." She smiled up at me knowingly. "It was nice seeing you, Edward. I hope I'll see you Friday night."

"I wouldn't miss it," I said sincerely. Emmett and I had a history, and even though we weren't as close now as we were in college, I respected him and supported his work. Rosalie slid into the back of the Lincoln and closed the door behind her.

"I'm sorry I haven't gotten in touch with you." The words left Bella's mouth in a rush. "It's been a crazy weekend and-" I held up my hand, interrupting her.

"It's not a big deal, really." I ran my hand through my sweaty hair and then rested it on my hip. "I just wanted to make sure everything was alright after Friday night."

Bella's smile faltered and her eyes filled with nervousness. "Yeah, about that…" her voice trailed off and she looked down at her feet. I wanted to reach out and touch her face, tilt her chin up so she was looking at me, but I stopped myself. What's happening to you, Cullen? I wondered. I hadn't wanted to show affection to anyone since … Well, let's just say it had been a long time.

"Please don't apologize, Bella. I'm the one that needs to apologize here." I wasn't sorry for kissing her, but I knew that's what she needed to hear. "I'm sorry for my behavior. I know we agreed to keep things professional and that wasn't professional at all."

"Please, it's not like I wasn't asking for it. I spent twenty minutes talking about my boobs, for Christ's sake. I'm pretty sure I brought that lip lock on myself."

I couldn't help but laugh as I remembered the nicknames she'd shared with me. "Regardless, it wasn't fair of me to take advantage of the situation, especially since we were drinking. I promise it won't happen again."

Her face relaxed a bit. "I am sorry if I came off as a … tease." The corners of her mouth started to lift upward as she said it. "Alcohol doesn't exactly raise my inhibitions. I tend to get rather mouthy after I get a few drinks in me."

I grinned sheepishly and ran my hands through my hair. "We all do." Behind Bella, Rosalie rolled the window to the Lincoln down and gave me an impatient stare. "I should probably let you get back to your Sunday activities. Got anything fun on the agenda today?"

"Rose is dragging me out shopping." Bella rolled her eyes and made a gagging gesture. "She seems to think I need a new outfit for Emmett's thing on Friday."

"You're going to New Moon?" I tried to sound like I was indifferent about the topic, but I knew my voice had an excited undertone to it.

"Of course. I'd face the Rosalie Smith firing squad bright and early Saturday morning if I didn't."
"Well then, I'll be seeing you on Friday." I turned and stopped, looking over my shoulder and grinning at her. "Meet you on the red carpet?"

She tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear and smiled shyly. "I'll be the one tripping over my heels." She gave me a small wave and got in the Lincoln. The car pulled away and I started jogging in the direction of my apartment. I couldn't stop thinking about Bella. Her big brown eyes, her smile, her awkward gestures, and the way she played with her hair when she was nervous. I ran faster, trying to chase away the images of her that refused to stop playing in my mind. My legs felt like they were on fire by the time I reached my apartment.

I started peeling my clothes off as soon as I was inside, leaving a trail from the living room to the bathroom. My hand was on my cock before I even made it to the shower. I pumped my fist up and down in fast, hard strokes, closing my eyes and imagining her lips on mine. That was enough to send me over the edge, and I came in my hand in several spurts. I took a quick shower and cleaned up, throwing on a pair of faded blue jeans, a white t-shirt, and my favorite Eli Manning jersey. I made sure I had my car keys and coat before heading out the door.

Jasper and I were planning on going to my parents' place that afternoon to grill and watch the football game. His parents had just gotten back from an extended vacation, and Carlisle and Esme were both excited to see Peter and Charlotte.

I turned onto Jasper's street and saw my friend perched on the steps of his brownstone. He was in his traditional game garb, consisting of an oversized NY Giants hooded sweatshirt and a Giants' cap. He placed a few Dean and Deluca bags on the backseat and got in the passenger side.

"Jesus, did you bring the whole kitchen?" I didn't think Jasper knew how to cook, let alone well enough to bring that much to the gathering. Besides, Esme and Charlotte rarely gave up control of the kitchen.

He shook his head "no" and checked to make sure his house keys were in his pocket. "Mom called me this morning and asked me to pick up a few things from the store for them. Dad didn't feel like being her errand boy since they just got back and all."

I laughed inwardly, imagining what the scene must have looked like. "She must really be mellowed from all their traveling. She never takes no for an answer, especially from your dad."

"I know! I was impressed when I talked to him earlier." Jasper glanced at his phone, punched in a quick text message and sent it off. "Are you coming with all of us on Friday night? Alice wants to know."

I nodded. "I'll be there." I hadn't told Jasper about the Friday night kiss, but I decided this was as good a time as any to put it out there. "I ran into Bella and Rosalie when I was jogging earlier."

"Oh yeah? How was that? Bella warming up to you at all yet?"

"Not exactly." I pulled the car to a stop in front of my parents' house and cut the engine. "I kissed her on Friday night and she freaked out and everything is all awkward now."

Jasper's mouth fell open a little. "You kissed her? I didn't even know you two had gone out! What happened?"

I shrugged. "She kissed me back, then bolted out of the car and spent the next 36 hours ignoring all my calls and texts." I rubbed a fingerprint smudge off the rearview mirror with the sleeve of my undershirt. "She acted like it was nothing today, but there were definitely some weird vibes coming off of her."

"Oh man, I better get ready to sign the deed on that Hampton's house over to you." Jasper caught my look of confusion and continued. "Chicks bolt when they're nervous, and usually they're nervous because they have feelings. Is she coming to the opening on Friday?"

I nodded again. "She said she was." Just then a thought crossed my mind, and I narrowed my eyes suspiciously at Jasper. "Who knows about this bet?"

"Nobody," he answered quickly. I was still suspicious.

"Nobody? Are you sure about that, Whitlock?"

He crossed his heart and held up his hand. "I promise. Scout's honor." Jasper opened the car door, clearly uncomfortable with the topic. "I debated telling Alice about it but thought better."

"You sure as fuck better not tell Alice!" I slammed my door and stomped around the back of the car. 
"You tell Alice anything and this entire arrangement is ruined!"

"Calm down! I'm not going to tell her anything. I'd be incriminating myself right alongside you and that's not what I want." Jasper grabbed the grocery bags and turned to face me. "Besides, you had to go and mix business with pleasure and now your book and everything else is on the line here. God only knows what she'd do for your publicity if she found out the truth right now."

I could feel the color drain from my face. "How the hell else was I supposed to get her to talk to me, jack ass? I couldn't very well have just called her and said, 'Hey Bella, I'm that asshole who harassed you at White's charity gala, want to go and grab coffee some time, we can continue our chat about your beautiful tits and my misogynistic attitude.' The whole PR thing was the perfect lead in, and it helped having Esme know her already."

Jasper started up the steps to my parents' house but stopped and turned around abruptly. "You have to promise me right now Edward, knowledge of this friendly wager never gets to anyone else. I have too much on the line myself now for this shit to hit the fan."

I patted Jasper's shoulder and looked away. "My lips are sealed. Once this book publicity is over I can seal the deal, you can give me my new Hampton's pad, and we can both carry on with our lives. 
It'll be as if this bet never existed."

Jasper looked sad. "Until you break Bella's heart and put a wrench in everything. Alice will be furious and Bella will be reminded of you every time she sees me." He rang the doorbell. "There's no way to make this thing not end badly. Unless we just end the bet right here and now and forget about it."

"No fucking way!" I shook my head furiously. "A bet is a bet, my friend. There is no backing down." And I want to continue spending time with Bella, I admitted silently.

Esme opened the front door, putting an abrupt end to our unusual conversation. "Well if isn't my two favorite Manhattan men! Come on in, make yourselves at home." Esme gave Jasper a hug and leaned in to kiss my cheek. "I hope you brought your appetites because we have a ton of food!"

Jasper headed for the kitchen, where his mom was stirring something in a crock-pot and his dad was pouring four glasses of wine. "Mom! Dad! Welcome home!"

Charlotte set the wooden spoon she was holding down and threw her arms around Jasper's neck. 
Jasper, in turn, picked her up and spun her around, kissing her forehead when he set her down again. 
Peter reached out to shake his son's hand, but quickly pulled him in for a hug. The couple had been away in France for the past six weeks, and I knew Jasper was looking forward to having them back in town for a while.

"Edward, you look wonderful! Get over here and let me give you a hug." Charlotte opened her arms and I smiled at her, walking into her familiar embrace. I kissed her cheek and turned to shake Peter's hand. I was quickly pulled in for a hug as well. Under normal circumstances, I'd feel incredibly awkward showing outward displays of affection for anyone who wasn't my immediate family. I'd grown up with Jasper and his parents however, and it almost felt like they were just an extension of our own small, tight-knit Cullen clan.

"Good afternoon, Son." Carlisle was wearing a ridiculous "Kiss the Cook" apron that Esme had given him for Christmas several years back. He also had a rather outrageous, tall white paper chef hat on his head and was holding a set of grill tongs. "Jasper, it's good to see you. I'm glad you both could make it."

Esme got back to helping Charlotte prepare whatever was in her crock-pot while Jasper and I followed our dads out into the back yard. I could see several cuts of steak and different pieces of chicken scattered across the grill already.

"What's going on over at the Journal these days?" Peter settled into one of the patio chairs, preparing to catch up with his son. I dropped down in the chair next to him and heaved a sigh of relief. I didn't mind having the spotlight aimed away from me, especially today.

My phone buzzed and I pulled it out of my pocket.

Please don't text me again. Riley was furious. Forget you know this number. Forget you know my name. Forget everything, Edward. It's time to let it go.

I stood up and excused myself, making a beeline for my father's study. I grabbed the crystal decanter of scotch on his bookshelf and poured myself a full glass. I tipped it back, swallowing the entire contents of the small cup and savoring the burning feeling of the alcohol traveling down my throat. I poured more and repeated the process until my mind started to get foggy and my heart felt numb.

I stepped into the bathroom and locked the door behind me. My eyes were bloodshot and my cheeks tinged pink from the buzz I had. Esme is going to kill you, the responsible side of my brain scolded. I shrugged the thoughts away and leaned my forehead against the mirror.

I'd spent the past eight years searching for the perfect drug to make the hollow pain in my chest go away. It flared up any time I thought about her and always overstayed its welcome.

Then Bella came along and for the first time in a long time I actually felt hopeful. I tried to deny my feelings at first, I tried to push them down and block them out, but I couldn't run from them anymore.

Bella Swan would never be just another one-night stand. She'd never be an object or a piece of arm-
candy for me. Bella Swan was my perfect drug. I wanted her. I needed her.

Even though she hadn't given me the chance to have her, one thing was becoming more and more clear to me each day: I could no longer envision my world without Bella Swan in it.

Bella's POV

I was the first one to arrive at the theater on Friday night. This came as no shock to me. I seemed to travel solo more often now that I was the last single woman standing in our small social circle. 
Ordinarily this didn't bother me, but tonight for some reason it did.

Probably because your friend has the pass that will get you inside, and until she arrives you're stuck standing here looking like a lame ass. My mind certainly had a way with words.

"You aren't tripping over your feet," a rich, velvety voice purred in my ear. I blushed immediately. 
He seemed to have that effect on me regardless of the situation.

"Well, technically we aren't on the red carpet yet." I smiled up at Edward. He looked amazing, as always. His suit was a dark navy blue color, almost black, and his hair was gelled up in a perfectly messy array. His emerald eyes were alive with excitement and he smelled like a combination of peppermint and Armani cologne. If he wasn't so sexy it would be easier to see him for what he really is – a repulsive man whore with no moral code or respect for women. Yep, my brain was on a roll tonight. I'd have to rein her in at some point.

"Edward! Bella!" Rose had just stepped out of her and Emmett's limo and was garnering plenty of attention. She looked stunning in a floor length chocolate colored gown. The fabric pooled around her feet and the top half was adorned with what must have been hundreds of small Swarovski crystals. I smiled and waved at her, heading in her direction. Edward placed his hand on the small of my back, startling me.

"I don't want to lose you in this crowd," he whispered in my ear. I gulped and nodded, continuing my trek to Rose.

Flash! Flash! Flash!

"Let the blinding begin!" I joked when I broke free from the crowd. Rose rolled her eyes and gave me a hug. Emmett squeezed my arm and kissed my cheek in a friendly fashion.

"Nice job, Hale!" Edward clapped his hand down on Emmett's shoulder and smiled at him. "This is quite the turn out."

"Thanks man." Emmett shook Edward's hand and returned the smile. "Did you ever think we'd be standing here someday?"

Edward looked nostalgic for a moment. "Not in this capacity. It sure beats the days of bumming around Weinstein though." Both men laughed while Rose and I looked on in confusion.

"Sorry we're late!" Alice skipped up to us and hugged Rose and I. "I'm not going to lie, I couldn't decide which shoes to wear."

"Why does this not surprise me?" Rose handed us our passes and led the way to the beginning of the carpet. A wave of nausea passed over me when I saw the spectacle playing out in front of us. 
Working with Edward was getting me enough unwanted attention lately. If I had my way I would have headed up the smaller carpet for the non-socialite/A-List crowd and snuck in the door. 
Unfortunately for me, Rosalie Smith was an all or nothing kind of woman, and that meant I either sucked it up and dealt with the attention or I didn't get into the premiere. There would likely be consequences for the second option, so I opted for the first.

"Hold up, hold up!" I dodged in front of Rose and smiled smugly. "I'm not getting stuck behind you for an hour taking photos."

"I'm with you on that." Edward winked and slid behind me in our makeshift lineup.

I stood up straight, squared my shoulders, and stepped into the chaos. I waved and smiled at a few of the photographers, all while trying to make it down the carpet as quickly as possible.

As luck would have it, my feet had no desire to be cooperative. Before I even realized what was happening, I was nose-diving towards the red carpet at a mortifying speed. I closed my eyes and stuck my hands out, preparing to brace myself against the fall, when I felt a strong arm wrap around my waist and stand me up on my feet.

"Just breathe," he whispered in my ear. He pulled me closer to him and we continued walking. In an effort to avoid falling again, I put my arm around him and grabbed a fistful of his suit coat securely in my hand.

"Bella! Edward! Over here!" Flash bulbs were going off all around us, but the only thing I noticed was the feeling of Edward's fingers through the fabric of my dress. As if on cue, we both angled our heads towards one another, avoiding making eye contact with the crowd around us. His face was so close to me that I could feel his breath on my hair. As absurd as the situation was, and as much as I didn't want to admit it, it made a part of me melt inside.

"I believe we're safe and sound." He let go of me when we were inside the theater. My cheeks were burning with a combination of embarrassment and excitement. "You weren't kidding when you said you'd be tripping over yourself."

"Thank you for catching me," I choked out. He reached out and brushed his fingertips over my cheek.

"It's the least I could do." There was a degree of emotion in his voice that I'd never heard before. A flock of butterflies came to life in my stomach.

Alice burst through the door behind me. "If there's one thing you're good at it's leaving your mark, Iz." She looked me up and down. "Your limbs are in tact and you appear to have no broken bones. We're a step above the last red carpet fiasco."

"Ha ha, very funny." I craned my neck and looked over the crowd, wondering if there was a cash bar somewhere in this place. "I need a drink."

"Are you sure that's a good idea? I mean you can't even walk straight when you're sober." Jasper was in hysterics next to Alice. I narrowed my eyes at him and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Well, it's official." Rose came in by herself, and I assumed Emmett was still talking to reporters on the carpet. "You just about stole all the glory with that tumble out there. I thought they were going to bang the door down after the two of you made it inside."

Alice smirked. "Bella's fall is the least of their cares right now." She waved her hand back and fourth between Edward and me. "They're concerned with what's going on between these two."

"What's going on between Bella and Edward?" Emmett asked, re-joining our small group.

"For the hundredth time, NOTHING IS GOING ON BETWEEN EDWARD AND I!" I belted out, surprising myself. A few people turned to look at us and I lowered my eyes in embarrassment. I'd completely forgotten Edward was standing right there until he cleared his throat.

"I think we should sit down," Edward said, glaring at Alice and Emmett. I nodded in agreement, pushing past him and heading for my seat. I managed to make it there without any additional fancy footwork. Edward took his seat on one side of me and Alice sat down on the other.

"I'm sorry, Bella. I was only trying to be funny."

I rolled my eyes and scoffed. "Your idea of funny is a bit different than mine. I'm so glad you could get a good laugh at my expense." The sarcasm in my voice was so thick I could almost feel it dripping off my tongue.

Alice didn't say anything more and I didn't either. Eventually the conversation around us dwindled down and the lights dimmed in the theater. I settled down in my chair and watched as the curtain slid open and the show started.

I laid my head back on the seat and closed my eyes. Edward was bouncing his leg up and down nervously next to me. I wanted to reach out and touch him, to lean over and tell him I wasn't trying to dismiss him earlier, but I couldn't do it. Even if I was trying to dismiss him, I knew he wouldn't care, because Edward wasn't the type to settle down, especially with someone as plain Jane as me.

Just because there was nothing between us didn't mean Edward was nothing to me.

Quite the opposite was true, in fact.

In some alternate universe, where Wall Street didn't exist, emerald-eyed men weren't afraid of commitment, and young girls native to Forks, WA actually had balls, Edward had the potential to be my everything.

Edward's POV

I wanted to kill Alice.

Scratch that. I wanted to kill Alice and Emmett.

Sitting through the play was excruciating. I desperately wanted to lean over and ask Bella if she was okay, but I was too worried about what her reaction might be. Instead, I bounced my leg up and down like a fool and clung to the arms of my chair like they were life rafts.

When the curtains finally closed again, the entire place rose to its feet in a standing ovation. Rose gave Emmett a very deep, very public kiss, and I watched him turn four shades redder than I'd ever seen. Jasper was telling Alice how he wanted one of the A&E reporters from the Journal to come out and cover the play and maybe even do an exclusive interview with Emmett. I tried to make eye contact with Bella, but she was staring at the stage like she'd never seen one before.

"I think we should all ride to the after party in one limo," Rose suggested. That statement got Bella's attention.

"There's an after party?" She groaned and hung her head.

Alice spun around. "Of course there's an after party! How many years have we been doing public relations? There's always an after party!"

I stepped forward and touched Bella's elbow softly. "Please don't make me fly solo with this bunch for the rest of the night. I'm begging you." A smile twitched at the corners of her lips and I knew I had her.

Rose mouthed a silent 'thank you' to me and I nodded in acknowledgment. I helped Bella with her coat and we followed our group, which was led out a rear entrance by a pair of security guards. The limo pulled away from the curb as soon as we were all seated. About twenty minutes later, the car came to a stop in front of a club called Marquee. The driver opened the door for us and we were greeted with a few more camera flashes.

"This is really quite ridiculous. It's not like any of us are bona fide Hollywood celebrities," Bella grumbled. I chuckled and followed her to the VIP entrance.

"He's a popular Broadway director and producer, that gives him celebrity status here." The hostess led us upstairs to the VIP area, which had a private bar, multiple tables, and several areas sectioned off with couches. The far side of the room was open and overlooked the packed dance floor below.

A waitress approached us before we were even seated, taking drink orders and bustling off to the bar. Bella sunk down onto a couch next to Rose and Emmett. I opted to sit across from them with Jasper and Alice.

"The show was fantastic, Emmett!" Alice gushed excitedly. I nodded in agreement and took a large sip of my whiskey coke.

"She's right, my friend. I don't know the first thing about Broadway ratings, but I'll give you two thumbs up." I held my thumbs in the air and gave Emmett an exaggerated smile. He laughed and reached over to give me a fist bump.

Rose draped her arm over Emmett's shoulders and pressed her lips against his cheek. "I told him he's pretty much guaranteed a Tony nomination, but he's too modest to admit it."

Bella was busy nursing her Belvedere, gulping down the remainder of her first glass and starting on her second. I wondered if Twin and Rocky would get another mention tonight, and if so, what circumstances it would be under.

"Rosalie told me you have a book coming out." Emmett leaned towards me, shouting over the music.

I nodded and finished my own drink. "I do indeed. The release party is at the end of November." I gestured towards Bella, thinking now would be a good time to draw her into the conversation and away from her drinking. "The resident lush over there could give you more details. She's planning everything for me."

Bella looked up and hiccupped. She covered her mouth with her hand and giggled, blushing slightly.  
"Edward's gonna be on TV and in some magazines!" She took another sip of her drink and held her index finger up. "Oh, and I'm organizing a fucking awesome book release party for him. In fact, I'm putting you on the guest list! Edward, is it alright if Emmett is on the list?"

I wasn't sure what was more amusing – Bella's behavior or Emmett's facial expression. He clearly hadn't seen her in this state before. Come to think of it, neither had I. Last weekend's happily tipsy 
Bella was nothing compared to tonight's completely trashed Bella. "Absolutely. In fact, Emmett can be on the top of the list."

"Perfect!" She raised both hands in the air and let out an excited squeal. "I need another drink!"

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" She shot me a dirty look before waving the waitress over.

"I don't need a babysitter, Edward. I know my limits, thank you very much!"

Rosalie whispered something to Emmett and they stood up. "We're going to go mingle. Just stuff her in a cab and send her home if she gets to be too much." Rosalie winked at me. Bella flipped her off but Rosalie just blew her a kiss and smiled. "You know I love you, Iz."

I excused myself to use the restroom, and when I returned Bella was well into her third drink. The lights in the VIP area had been dimmed and she was swaying to the music. Her eyes were closed and she had a ridiculous smile plastered on her face. I took my seat across from her and tipped back the shot I'd ordered. I had a good buzz going and I liked the atmosphere around me.

"I love this song!" Bella exclaimed as the DJ spun out Timbaland's "The Way I Are." She stood up and started moving her body, swaying her hips and running her hands up and down her sides. Her fingertips grazed over her breasts on each upstroke and I had to bite my lip to stop myself from letting out a hiss of arousal.

"I ain't got no money, I ain't got no car to take you on a date, I can't even buy you flowers, but together we can be the perfect soul mates…"

Bella closed her eyes and dipped low. She ran her finger down the side of her face and placed it in her mouth, sucking on it lightly. She opened her eyes and looked directly at me, removing her finger from her mouth and making a "come here" gesture with said finger.

"I want to dance with you." Bella shouted over the music. Alice and Jasper had disappeared somewhere in the lower level of the club. Rose and Emmett were at the bar socializing with some of the show's actors. That left Bella and me all alone to our own devices.

I shook my head and leaned back into the couch. "I don't dance. Honestly, it's a travesty to have to witness."

Bella wasn't going to take no for an answer though. She closed the space between us, stopping in front of me and placing a hand on her hips. She stuck her free hand out and poked her index finger into my chest.

"You don't have to dance, Edward." She grabbed the front of my shirt and pulled me up. She walked around me slowly, running her hands across my chest and back. I trembled beneath her touch and she smiled wickedly. "All you have to do is move."

Bella pressed her back flat against my chest and started moving to the music. My hands found their way to her hips and before long we were grinding up on one another. I leaned down and pressed my lips against her bare shoulder, inhaling her sweet, seductive scent. She reached around and wove her fingers into my hair, pulling my face to her and pressing her lips against mine hungrily.

I knew this was wrong on so many levels. She was my publicist, we'd agreed to stay professional, and I'd already witnessed her reaction to our drunken kiss last weekend. This is all in the name of the bet. When did you turn into such a softie?

At the same time, this felt deliciously right as well; not only because of the bet, but because Bella felt good beneath my hands. The feel of her skin sent electric jolts down my fingers and through my body, igniting every nerve along the way. She fit perfectly against me and I was almost positive we'd fit together perfectly in other ways as well.

"Baby if you strip, you could get a tip, cause I like you just the way you are, I'm about to strip and I want it quick, can you handle me the way I are?"

She bent down, grinding her ass against my groin. I moaned and squeezed her hips lightly. She threw her head back up and looked at me over her shoulder. I felt my cock stiffen, and I knew she felt it too because a minute later she got a devilish look in her eye and ground herself against me harder.

"I don't need the cheese or the car keys, boy I like you just the way you are, and let me see ya strip, you could get a tip, cause I like you just the way you are…"

I spun her around so she was facing me and brushed the hair off her shoulder. I left a trail of chaste kisses across her collarbone and up her neck to her ear.

"Come home with me," I whispered. She looked in my eyes and I saw fear staring back at me. It only lasted for a moment before lust and wonder took its place. I ran my hand along her spine, settling it on the small of her back and pulling her closer to me. I took her ear lobe in my mouth and nibbled on it gently before whispering again.

"Come home with me." She drew in a deep breath, closed her eyes, and nodded. I started to move away to get our coats but she grabbed my wrist and pulled me back to her.

"Promise me something, Cullen."

"That all depends on what you're asking me to promise, Ms. Swan." I answered honestly. She bit her lower lip nervously and looked up at me through her long eyelashes.

"Promise me you won't behave tonight." I was taken aback by her words. She continued quietly. 
"I'm not going home with you to drink tea and play Scrabble, and I think we both know it. Make this worth it for me, Cullen. Please?"

I grinned and ran a hand through my hair. Belvedere-induced bad girl Bella was definitely my favorite.

"I swear on all that's holy, Ms. Swan, I will make it way more than worth your while." I grabbed our coats and helped her into hers. I still hadn't seen our friends, so I sent a quick text to Emmett telling him we were leaving and I'd get Bella home safe. I didn't have the patience to wait for my driver, so I hailed us a cab when we got outside.

Her hands were on me as soon as we were in the car. My tongue slipped into her mouth and she sucked on it greedily. She was trying to unbutton my shirt but I pushed her fingers away to stop her.

"Not here, baby. Only a few more blocks." I willed the driver to go faster, wanting nothing more than to get home and get Bella out of her dress.

I was finally, after a month of pursuing, going to get my way with Bella Swan. This simple act wouldn't win me the bet by any means, but it was a good start. As her lips moved against mine, I couldn't help but wonder if this was really the best night to do this. Bella was drunk, I was drunk, and I was almost positive she'd be furious in the morning, not only with herself but with me too.

Three weeks ago I would have been fucking ecstatic if Bella agreed to go home with me.

Tonight, however, I was feeling nothing but immense guilt.

Who are you and what have you done with Edward Cullen?

Bella's POV

Edward's lips were hot and his mouth tasted like the whiskey he'd spent the night drinking.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but it certainly felt right.

Me.

Edward.

Sex.

Holy. Fuck.

I pressed my lips to his again and tousled my fingers in his hair. The cab stopped and he paid the fare. I followed him inside and into the elevator.

His arms wound around my waist and his bright green eyes bored into mine. I'd like to think I saw longing and a deeper emotion there but I knew it was only the liquor fooling me.

Edward unlocked the door to his apartment and we stepped inside. He slipped his suit coat off and turned to face me, cupping my chin in his hands.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked sincerely. The sane part of my brain was in the middle of an all-out brawl with the drunken side at the moment. As in most situations like this, drunken brain
knocked sane brain out and took over my train of thought.

"Absolutely." I said. I kicked the door closed behind me and wrapped my arms around Edward's neck.

Tomorrow morning would be the time for regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment