Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hot Commodity: Chapter 7 - A Fine Line


Characters belong to SM. RL places mentioned in the fic belong to their rightful owners, and unfortunately Back to the Future does not belong to me either, as much as I love that freaking movie. Everything else is mine!

Chapter 7 – A Fine Line

Alice's POV

I spent approximately four hours on Wednesday afternoon picking through my clothes, trying to decide what I was going to wear for my big night on the town with Jasper. I wasn't satisfied with anything in my closet, so I decided a trip to Saks Fifth Avenue was in order. Two hours and one large charge receipt later, I had secured five new outfits, one of which was destined to be the one I wore on Friday night.

By Thursday evening I had everything in place for my first date wardrobe. I tried not to think too much about what may happen, but I couldn't help daydreaming about possible outcomes when I went to bed that evening. Friday went by slower than I thought possible, and as soon as four o'clock rolled around I was out of my office and on the subway, eager to get home and get ready.

I wasn't sure where Jasper was planning on taking me for dinner, but I assumed it was going to be someplace nice, especially if we really were going out dancing after. He struck me as the type of man who would pull out all the stops for a girl he liked, and I had a feeling that he really liked me. Or at least I hoped he really liked me, because at this point I could honestly say that I really liked him.

I decided to go with a simple yet elegant little black dress I'd purchased on Wednesday. It fell to about two inches above my knee and had long sleeves that were ruffled at the end. I blow dried my hair so it was straight and framed my face, and applied some eyeliner, mascara, and a light coat of lip gloss. At seven o'clock on the nose my buzzer went off.

"I'm coming down!" I said into the intercom. I grabbed my purse, made sure to turn off all the lights, and waited impatiently for the elevator. When I got to the lobby, Jasper was engaged in a friendly conversation with the doorman.

"There's always next season." Marcus turned to face me and smiled. "Ms. Erickson, you look lovely this evening. Your friend here was just discussing the Yankees with me."

"Well I'm glad he intercepted you for that conversation Marcus, because I don't know anything about baseball." I smiled at Jasper and held out my hand. "Ready to go?"

"Absolutely." Jasper took my hand and smiled at Marcus. "It was nice talking to you. I look forward to many more door-side baseball chats in the future."

"Likewise." Marcus held the door open and I followed Jasper out into the night. A black Lincoln was parked at the curb, and the driver had the door open and ready for us.

"After you." Jasper gestured towards the car and I slid into the backseat. He walked around to the other side and got in next to me, taking my hand in his as soon as he was seated. "You look stunning, by the way."

"Thank you. You look pretty handsome yourself." I reached out and adjusted the collar of his shirt, allowing my fingers to graze his chest when I pulled my hand away. "Is our destination a surprise or can you give me a hint?"

"I thought we'd start with a nice dinner at Gilt and then head to this dance hall down in Brooklyn that my parents like to go to." Jasper looked at me and grinned. "It might be a little too far to walk you home after, but I do believe you'll have plenty of time to pick my brain on the drive back."

I laughed and felt a wave of relief wash over me. Jasper was quite easy to be around, which was a nice change from guys I'd dated in the past. The fact that he was gorgeous didn't hurt anything either. 
The car eased to a stop as we reached our destination. I followed Jasper to our table and took in my surroundings. The restaurant had a modern but elegant vibe to it, and within minutes Jasper had ordered us a bottle of Pinot Noir.

"I'd like to propose a toast." Jasper raised his glass in the air and smiled shyly at me. "To New York nights and new experiences."

I clinked my glass against his and took a sip of my wine. "I think it's only fair that I get to start picking your brain here at dinner. What do you say?"

He leaned back in his chair and folded his hands on the top of the table. "Ask away, Ms. Erickson."

"Where are you from?"

"Brooklyn," he answered quickly. "The Cobble Hill neighborhood, to be exact."

"Cobble Hill, huh? That's a pretty nice area." I speared a piece of lettuce from my salad and chewed it carefully. "How do you know Edward?"

"We grew up next door to one another. We've been best friends for as long as I can remember, much like you and Rosalie."

I ran my finger around the rim of my wine glass, trying to think of how to phrase my next sentence. 
"I take it that old saying 'birds of a feather flock together' doesn't really apply to the two of you then? 
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Edward is a nice guy once you get to know him and all, but you're nothing like him. I can't begin to understand how the two of you have stayed friends this long."

Jasper played with his fork and appeared lost in thought. "Edward used to be … different. He wasn't always this successful, arrogant monster." Jasper chuckled as he remembered how his best friend used to be. "Surprisingly enough, he was a lot like me back when we were in college. Then he got involved with this girl and it turned into a crazy roller coaster ride relationship that left him permanently jaded."

I couldn't stop the tug of compassion that pulled at my heart. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make any assumptions." The waiter brought our entrees and the conversation halted for a moment.

"You don't have to apologize, Alice." Jasper reached over and took my hand in his, running his thumb across my knuckles. "I love Edward like he's my brother, but quite frankly, he made his bed after grad school, and he hasn't done anything to change what people think of him."

"Enough about Edward." I took a bite of my tuna steak, savoring the way it tasted. "Where did you go to college? What was your major? What's your job now?"

"Slow down, hot shot," he joked. "I went to New York University and majored in journalism. I work for the Journal right now, as a features editor."

"An editor? Wow! That's a big accomplishment for being so young."

Jasper blushed and shrugged. "I like what I do, which makes it easier for me to strive to be good at it. Besides, it's nothing compared to what you and Bella are doing right now. Running your own PR firm before you're even 30? That's so awesome!"

I beamed with pride. "I don't know what I'd do without that woman. I'm happy she decided to stay in Manhattan and work with me instead of jetting off to Chicago like she considered."

"What was in Chicago?"

I paused, debating whether or not I should tell him anything. Bella's story was hers to share, and I knew she'd kill me if any of what I said got back to Edward. Then again, Jasper didn't strike me as the type to engage in gossip at someone else's expense. "I probably shouldn't be telling you this, but I trust that you'll keep it between us. Four years ago Bella got involved with a guy named Ben. He was a musician, a very charming man, and he treated her like a princess. He moved in with her after a year and things stayed good for about another year after that. Right when our firm started to take off, he asked her to move to Chicago with him. She told him she needed time to think about things, and he got really angry with her and gave her an ultimatum. She chose New York."

"Wow, that's awful." Jasper handed the waiter his credit card and drained the rest of his wine. "She must have been devastated."

I nodded, remembering the weeks and months following Ben's departure. "It tore her apart. She hasn't been with anyone since. Sometimes I worry that she'll never be with anyone again."

Jasper stood and helped me with my coat. He grabbed my hand and I followed him out into the New York night. "My lips are sealed about this. It's our little secret." Once we were seated in the back of the Lincoln, he turned and looked at me. "Edward's college girlfriend was named Jessica. Jessica Stanley. Now you have a tidbit of secret information from me too."

I leaned over and pressed my lips against his cheek. Jasper was a good guy.

I said a silent "thank you" to the powers that be above for dropping this amazing man in my lap. In addition to many more door-side baseball chats with Marcus, I hoped that Jasper was looking forward to many more New York nights with me.

Bella's POV

I'd been staring at the wall for forty-five minutes when I decided to make the call. My palms were sweaty, my knees were shaking, and for reasons unclear to me, my heart was racing. But, it was eight thirty on a Friday night and I wasn't about to spend the rest of the evening sitting at home alone.

I dialed his number and waited while it rang. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until he answered. "This is Cullen."

"Edward, hi, it's Bella." My words came out in one big jumbled whoosh.

"Bella Swan, calling me on a Friday night? I do believe this day needs to be marked on the calendar!" He did nothing to mask the smugness in his voice. I rolled my eyes and contemplated hanging up.

"Edward Cullen acting like an arrogant bastard? I do believe this is an everyday occurrence."

"I wouldn't want to disappoint you, my dear publicist." I could hear noises in the background, but they lowered in volume after he spoke, and I assumed it was the television. "To what do I owe the honor of this call?"

I'd rehearsed what I was going to say twenty times before calling him, but now that we were on the phone I found myself at a loss. "I was just wondering what you were doing."

"For the first time in a long time I'm doing absolutely nothing. Your friend Alice kidnapped my partner in crime, leaving me with no plans for the evening."

I'd completely forgotten about Alice's date. I made a mental note to call her first thing tomorrow morning to find out how it went. "Have you had dinner yet?"

"I had a late lunch at the office, but I could go for something of sustenance right about now. Have you had dinner yet?" The smugness left his tone and I swear he sounded almost apprehensive.

"Nope, I can't say I have. Do you want to go grab some grub?"

Just like that the smugness returned. "Bella Swan, are you asking me on a date?"

My cheeks flamed with embarrassment. Thank God he can't see me! "I'm asking you to go eat dinner with me, Edward. Don't get your panties in a twist."

"Thanks for the clarification, Bella." His voice oozed sarcasm. "And for the record, I wear boxer briefs, and believe me, they aren't in a twist."

"I'll keep that in mind. Should we meet somewhere or…?" My voice trailed off.

"Give me your address and I'll pick you up."

I gave him my address and he said he'd be over in a half hour. I rummaged through my clothes, settling on a pair of dark wash, distressed skinny jeans and a three quarter length sleeved royal blue shirt. I slipped my feet into a pair of ballerina flats and grabbed my coat out of the closet. I smoked half a cigarette before the Lincoln pulled up.

"Nice shirt," Edward remarked when I got in. He looked amazing as always. His hair was gelled up in a messy style, he had a thin layer of stubble coating his chin, and his button-up shirt was open just enough at the top that a few stray pieces of chest hair poked out.

"Thank you." I shifted awkwardly, placing my coat on the seat next to me. "And thank you for coming out with me. I was bored out of my mind at home."

"Likewise." His green eyes bored into the side of my head, but I refused to look over at him. I was starting to learn my own triggers, and I knew that if I looked into his eyes the night would be over for me before it even began.

"Does Bond 45 work for you? Jasper and I usually go there every Friday." He continued to stare at me until I was finally forced to look at him.

"Bond 45 sounds great. I've never been there before."

The driver dropped us off in front of the restaurant. Edward held the door for me and placed his hand on the small of my back when we were inside. I shivered beneath his touch and he smirked, fully aware of the power he had over women.

"Edward, I was wondering where you were!" The host shook his hand and led us to a table. "Who is this beautiful lady? I assume she must be someone special if you're arriving with her?"

Edward looked nervous. I felt nauseated. "This is my publicist, Bella Swan."

"Be thankful you're his publicist and not part of the rotation," the host whispered just loud enough for Edward to hear. I shifted uncomfortably in my chair.

"Thank you for seating us, Billy. I think we'll be fine from here." Edward did nothing to hide the irritation in his voice. Billy winked at me before heading back to the podium at the front of the restaurant.

"That was sufficiently awkward." I buried my face in the menu, wishing I could snap my fingers and disappear.

"I'm sorry about that." Edward ran a hand through his hair and closed his eyes. "I've never come here with anyone but Jasper."

"It would seem you've left with plenty of women though."

"Bella…" Edward began but the waiter's arrival cut him short. I ordered a Belvedere on the rocks. I had a feeling I was going to need it to get through the night. You should have stayed home, foolish girl.

"A bit of advice from one friend to another." My words dripped with sarcasm. "If you expect anyone to take you seriously when you're published, you should consider acting like an adult instead of like a hormonal teenage boy."

Edward looked like I'd slapped him. I tipped my drink back, draining half of it in one swig. The alcohol burned my throat but it also numbed me, which is what I was hoping for.

"Point taken," he said slowly. He tore at the label on his bottle of beer, avoiding my eyes. "We should have gone somewhere else. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your evening."

"I entered into this partnership knowing perfectly well how you are." I swallowed the rest of my cocktail and signaled to the waiter for another one. "I just don't want to get swallowed up in your charade. I've spent the last eight years working to make a name for myself in this city – a respectable name, and so far I've succeeded. You may not mind being known as a womanizer, but I mind being mingled in with your harem."

Edward sat in stunned silence staring at the table. I worried that he might get up and leave but eventually he looked up at me and chuckled softly. "You could never be a part of my 'harem,' Bella. You're far too good of a woman for that."

"I'll take that as a compliment." I dug into my pasta furiously. The vodka was doing the trick, leaving me feeling somewhat carefree despite the direction our conversation had taken. "In the interest of not making this a ridiculously depressing evening, tell me something about you that nobody else knows."

He smiled, clearly relieved by my change of topic. "I get a pedicure every month."

I covered my mouth and giggled. "Pedicures? Seriously? I'd keep that a secret too if I was you!"

"Hey, give me a break. They're nice." He pointed his fork at me. "I'm sure you and your girlfriends get them all the time."

"I believe the keyword in that sentence is 'girl.'" I could tease Edward all day long. It's certainly better than arguing with him.

"Laugh at me all you want Swan, you'll never hurt my pride. Now, I think it's only fair that you tell me something about yourself that nobody knows."

I thought hard. "That's a tough one. I don't know if there's anything I haven't told Rose or Alice."

"C'mon Bella, there has to be something." I didn't know if it was the vodka or his smoldering eyes, but my insides were quickly turning to mush.

I leaned across the table and whispered. "My boobs have names."

"Is that so?" His lopsided grin was infectious. I burst into laughter.

"Oh yes." I laughed even harder.

"You can't just drop a bomb like that and not tell me more." Edward pushed his plate away and leaned forward on his elbows, resting his chin on his hands.

"Are you ready for this?" He nodded eagerly. "The left one is Twin and the right one is Rocky." 
This time it was Edward who burst out laughing.

"That's completely fucked up, but completely hot at the same time," he choked out between laughs.

I shrugged and grinned sheepishly. Yep, the vodka was definitely kicking in."The fact that you're the only person who now knows that should make it all that much hotter."

"Believe me, it does." He leaned even closer to me, lowering his voice to a seductive, sugary sweet whisper. "Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to get a formal introduction."

The vodka was controlling my mouth by this point. "You won't need luck if you can learn to behave yourself for five minutes."

"Does that countdown start now?" He made a show of looking at his watch.

I shook my head no and smiled wickedly. "We'll still be sitting here in five minutes and I hardly think this establishment is the place for an introduction of that sort."

"Good point." He stared at the ceiling thoughtfully. "I guess I have something to look forward to then."

"I guess you do." The semi-sober fraction of my brain was screaming what an idiot I was. The vodka-soaked part, on the other hand, was lighting a full-blown mischief fire under my ass.

"Since we're having a friendly conversation, maybe you could enlighten me on your past?"

"Where to begin?" I asked rhetorically. "I grew up in Forks, Washington. It's about three hours west of Seattle, close to Olympic National Park. I moved to Boston as soon as I graduated high school and went to Harvard, which is where I met Alice and Rose."

"What do your parents do?" His curiosity seemed genuine, which was enough encouragement for me to continue.

"My dad used to be a police officer, but he retired from the force a few years back. Now he works part-time as a private detective for an insurance agency. My mom does interior design work." The waiter brought our check and I fished out my wallet. Edward wrapped his fingers around my wrist gently, handing the waiter a large bill instead.

"Dinner is on me. It's the least I can do for making you so uncomfortable earlier." He let go of my arm, but my skin continued to hum with an electricity I'd never felt before.

"Thank you. I appreciate that."

"What made you want to cross the country for college?" He resumed his questioning, not missing a beat.

"I guess you could say I was curious." I smiled, remembering how excited I was when I got my 
acceptance letter for Harvard. "I'd never traveled anywhere outside of the Pacific Northwest and the east coast always intrigued me. Then there was the whole wanting to get as far away from home as possible element. Plus Harvard is an amazing school, obviously, so it was hard to pass up once I got in."

"I bet your parents are proud. Not everyone can say they have an Ivy League graduate for a daughter." I blushed at his compliment.

"I think they are." I looked at my cell and back at Edward. "I've kept you out for a while. Should we get going?"

"I have no plans tonight, but if you're ready to leave we can certainly head out." Edward stood up and put on his coat. I did the same and followed him out to the car.

"I know you grew up here in the city, and thanks to Alice I'm familiar with your parents' work, but what about your college experience?" There was so much I had yet to learn about him. You might as 
well ask away since you've already started divulging your secrets, my sober brain chided.

"I got my bachelor's at NYU and my master's at Columbia."

I arched an eyebrow at him. "A fellow Ivy Leaguer. I can't say I'm surprised though, I wouldn't expect any less from you."

He chuckled. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"All your schooling is in finance, I'm guessing?" He nodded.

"Business with a finance concentration, yes. I also have a minor in Italian, which comes as a surprise to some people. I contemplated doing some post-graduate work in Europe at one point but it just didn't pan out."

"Italian, huh? You'll have to teach me how to say something clever someday." The car came to a stop in front of my brownstone. I shifted nervously in my seat and reached for the door handle. He grabbed my wrist, pulling my body back towards him.

"Bella." No sooner had he said my name than his lips crashed against mine in a fiery kiss. My sober brain was standing straight up, flailing its arms and screaming, 'STOP! STOP!' Vodka brain was still in control, however, and I kissed him back hungrily, digging my fingers into his messy hair and pulling at it roughly.

"Mmm," I moaned against his mouth as his hands inched up my shirt. His fingertips skirted across my stomach, sending a wave of shivers down my spine. I, Isabella Swan, was kissing Edward Cullen. I'd been fantasizing about this moment for weeks. His touch was more amazing than I'd ever imagined. I could get used to being in his arms, I thought as my hands traveled to his belt.

It was right about then that sober brain managed to knock vodka brain out and take control. I broke the kiss, pulling away from him and shaking my head. All the hard work I'd put into resisting his charms was ruined thanks to one instance of bad judgment on my part.

"I have to go." I opened the car door and bolted, closing it harder than necessary before running up the stairs and inside my building. I leaned against the wall and hunched over, taking deep breaths and resting my palms on my knees. A wave of nausea swept over me and I fumbled with my keys, making it to the bathroom just in time.

This was why I didn't drink hard liquor. This was why I didn't put myself in situations that would leave me feeling flustered and confused and, well … sick. One kiss and a PG-rated grope from 
Edward and I was in the toilet yakking my brains out. That should serve as a sign of some sort, right?

I leaned my head against the cool tiles of the bathroom floor and closed my eyes.

This was exactly why I could never let anything more than a friendship develop between Edward Cullen and I.

Edward's POV

I ran my finger over my mouth as I watched her retreat into the building.

The kiss was brief, but it rocked me nonetheless. My lips tingled and my body craved more of her touch.

I waved my hand forward, signaling for the driver to continue on. I leaned back against the seat and closed my eyes.

My words were audible to no one but me.

"Bella Swan, you might be the one to break me."

Jasper's POV

Alice tipped her head back and laughed at my lame joke. We were nearing her apartment, which meant our date was coming to a close, and that was a disappointment in and of itself. Of course I'd already agreed to accompany her, Bella, and Rosalie to Emmett's newest Broadway gem next weekend, so date number two was on the books.

The evening had gone off without a hitch. We'd danced until the place closed down, sneaking off in between songs to enjoy another bottle of wine. I told Alice everything she wanted to know about me, all the way from childhood to the present, and she seemed to approve of all that I said. In turn she'd told me a bit more about herself, providing me with small glimpses of the intelligent, witty, and complex woman she was beneath the surface.

"This is my stop." Alice laughed nervously. "Of course you probably knew that already since you picked me up."

I stepped out and opened the car door for her. I took her hand and led her up the stairs to the apartment.

"Thank you for the wonderful evening, Ms. Erickson." Our formal nicknames for one another had quickly become an inside joke of sorts. She made a show of bowing and extending her hand out to me.

"The pleasure was all mine, Mr. Whitlock." She entwined our fingers and pulled me to her, wrapping her free hand around my waist. She stood on her toes and whispered softly in my ear. "I think this is the part where you give me a goodnight kiss."

I smiled down at her, shaking my head in mock disbelief. "You didn't even give me a chance to get there!" I leaned down and pressed my mouth against hers gently. I cupped her cheek in my palm and parted my lips slightly, allowing our tongues to dance together in the sweet tango that can only be had during a first kiss.

"Goodnight," Alice whispered, pressing her lips against mine in a small chaste kiss. She turned and walked in the building, waving at me and blowing me another kiss before getting on the elevator. Marcus winked at me and gave me thumbs up. I returned the gesture and bounded down the steps to my waiting car.

I reached for my phone, ready to call Edward and tell him how the night had gone, but stopped abruptly when I thought about the bet we'd made just a few short weeks ago. Here I was encouraging him to string Bella along while I fell shamelessly for her best friend. Alice adored Bella; that much was clear just from the conversations I'd had with her. If she were to find out that I wagered a stupid house in the Hamptons against her friend's heart, Alice would never speak to me again. Even though we'd only been on two dates, I knew I'd be devastated if she were to disappear from my life.

Oh please, Edward couldn't even get a tree to fall in love with him, a little voice in the back of my mind said. I almost agreed, but then I thought about Jessica Stanley and just how much she adored him throughout the course of their relationship. Edward wasn't the same man now that he was back then, and Bella was no Jessica, but the chemistry was definitely there between them, waiting for something or someone to come along and pop the cork off of it, allowing it to explode.

I thought about calling the bet off and proposing that Edward and I arrange some type of shared custody situation when it came to the house, but I knew my friend well enough to know that he was in too deep now to consider backing down. Even if he knew he was going to lose, his pride always seemed to derail his common sense, especially when it came to situations involving a woman.

I dropped my head in my hands, thinking of how I could put an end to the bet and prevent anyone from getting hurt. For now, I would just have to play it cool when I was with Alice and pray that 
Bella might be holding the key to Edward's heart.

Yeah, right. Miracles like that only happened in the movies.

Reality hit me like a ton of bricks – no good could possibly come to any of us in this situation.

Bella's POV

I squinted my eyes and rolled over, avoiding the bright beam of sunshine that had snuck past my curtains. Bits and pieces of last night flashed through my mind: calling Edward, arguing with him at dinner, talking about my boobs, and kissing him in the backseat of the Lincoln.

Talking about my boobs.

Kissing Edward.

Holy. Shit.

What the FUCK were you thinking? After a sleepless night of praying to the porcelain god, sober brain was all that remained, and man was she ever pissed at me. Rightfully so, I thought to myself.
I never behaved so carelessly, especially not with a client. The fact that Edward Cullen had a horribly unnerving effect on me was becoming clearer by the minute.

I reached over and pulled my cell phone off the nightstand. I had two missed calls from Alice and five text messages. As I scrolled through the texts, one in particular stood out.

Give Twin and Rocky a hug for me this morning. I'm sorry I didn't behave myself last night, but I hope I'm right in seeing a proper introduction looming on the horizon. ;) – E.

Oh. My. God.

I deleted his text and tossed a towel over my face in humiliation. Are you happy with yourself? I don't know what you were trying to prove last night, but this should make for a wondrous work situation come Monday morning. Sober brain had kicked her feet up, crossed her arms over her chest, and was staring at me with a smug expression on her face.

"Ugh," I groaned.

Perhaps I would get lucky and stumble upon Doc Brown, a DeLorean, and a flux capacitater sometime before the weekend was over. Then I could go back and fix my behavior and enjoy my weekend instead of spending it in a permanent state of anxiety. Better yet, I could go back and refuse to take Edward on as a client, which would effectively erase this entire situation and leave me free to roam the streets of the city without a care in the world.

Life wasn't an 80s movie though, and I knew I'd have to face the music on Monday morning.

I wonder what the chances are that Alice would let me call in humiliated for the next 52 weeks?

"Slim to none," I answered myself.

I wonder what the chances are that I will be able to look at Edward the same again?

I knew the answer to this question too: nonexistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment