Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hot Commodity: Chapter 3 - Business, Not Pleasure




Characters belong to SM. Everything else belongs to me.

Chatper 3 – Business, Not Pleasure

Bella's POV

Alice was waiting in my office when I arrived at work on Wednesday morning. Great, just what I need, I thought as I threw my coat and bag on a chair. The only time Alice ever met me in my office was when there was bad news to break or I was in trouble for something. I went through my mental checklist of recent projects and everything seemed in order.

"Good Morning!" Alice's singsong voice was bright and cheerful. Too bright and cheerful.

"Okay, what is going on?" I sat down and eyed her with trepidation. Alice looked panicked for a moment but composed herself quickly.

"I wanted to brief you on your ten o'clock meeting." Relief washed over me and I let out an audible sigh. I knew my schedule like the back of my hand and I didn't have any appointments scheduled this morning. In all fairness, Alice was always prepared, but sometimes her OCD tendencies got in the way and caused small mix-ups.

"You must be referring to my consultation with the Spencers. That's tomorrow, Al. My schedule is wide open until two today." I reached over and turned on my computer, preparing to start my usual routine.

"Actually there is a meeting today." The panic returned to Alice's features, only this time she did nothing to mask it. "It's a last minute thing, I kind of set it up last night after you'd gone home."

"Oh no, Alice." I dropped my head in my hands and took a deep breath. I'd overslept this morning so I had to forego a shower and skip out on the makeup. My hair was currently held up in a messy bun by a pencil and the onion bagel I'd consumed while on the subway left my breath in less-than-desirable condition. The last thing I was ready to do this morning was sell our services to a potential client. "I can't pitch anything looking like this. Why didn't you call me last night?"

"I'm sorry Bella, it slipped my mind." Yeah, just like this job is going to slip this mystery client's mind after they see me.

"Who is it anyway?" I shuffled through my desk drawer in search of the materials I'd need for the meeting. It was already ten minutes to ten and the clock wasn't ticking any slower. Alice sat and stared at me, visibly contemplating how she was going to answer my question. "Alice, it's almost ten, I'm not playing games, just tell me who the damn client is so I can get my shit together."

"Edward Cullen." Her voice was a whisper. She cringed when she saw my expression. I felt the blood rising to my face as anger pulsed through my veins. New York was the biggest city in the damn county. I was willing to bet there were hundreds of PR firms for him to choose from. Why the hell did he have to pick ours? And why the hell did Alice think I would want to work with him?

"Alice." I kept my voice as calm as I could. "Please tell me that you're joking."

She stood up and backed towards the door. "I'm sorry, Bella, I should have told you. If it helps I told him absolutely no meeting the first two times I talked to him. I tried to ward him off but he was insistent on working with us. I did some work for his parents a few years back and they recommended us."

"They recommended us Alice; as in both of us. As in there's no reason why you can't meet with him." I clenched and unclenched my fists, trying to keep my voice down. The last thing I wanted to do was cause a scene in the office.

"He requested you specifically." She threw her hands up in exasperation. "I don't like this anymore than you do, but this could be huge for us. He's popular and his name could draw in a lot of business, especially from the Wall Street sector."

"You don't like this anymore than I do?" I spit out. "I don't think that's possible. In case you forgot, it was my pants he was trying to get in last weekend!"

There was a light knock on my door accompanied by the sound of a throat clearing.

"Is this a bad time?"

I looked up and found myself face-to-face with the bright green eyes that had occupied my fantasies for the past three nights.

Edward fucking Cullen.

I was going to kill Alice for this.

Edward's POV

If looks could kill I'd be a dead man. Hell, she'd probably have killed me nine times over by now.
Bella was angry. Even if I hadn't heard the end of her conversation with Alice, I would have known just by looking at her. Her cheeks were flushed red and her eyes were flashing. Her hands were curled into tiny fists at her sides and she was leaning forward over the top of her desk looking like a lioness ready to pounce on her prey. Alice looked back and forth between Bella and I twice before clearing her own throat awkwardly.

"Good Morning Edward!" She gave my hand a firm shake and smiled brightly. "I'm Alice Erickson. This is my partner, Bella Swan. Can I get you anything to drink, coffee or water?"

"No thanks, I'm good for now." I said smoothly.

"Great!" Alice turned around at the door to the office, giving Bella a pointed glance. "Please try to behave yourself. I'll be in my office if you need anything."

"So…" I had no idea what to say. Bella hadn't moved an inch. "Where would you like me to sit?" 
She gave me no response so I took a seat in the chair closest to her desk.

"What are you doing here?" She still hadn't moved but her fists were unclenched and her expression had softened slightly.

"I believe I'm here to discuss representation with you." I kept my tone polite and professional. "I'm not sure how much information Alice gave you, but I have a book coming out next month and I need a publicist."

She sank into her chair and shuffled through some papers on her desk. She meant business. I liked that.

"A book, huh? Successful investments, million dollar real estate ventures, books … is there anything you don't do, Mr. Cullen?" Her words were laced with sarcasm.

"Well I haven't done you yet so I guess that's one thing." The words left my mouth before I had a chance to think. She stood up and crossed the room, opening the door and gesturing to the hallway.

"This is a place of business Mr. Cullen, not a meat market. I would suggest you find a different firm to work with if that's how you plan on conducting yourself." Her tone was icy and her dark eyes blazed with anger. I admired her wits.

"I apologize, I didn't mean to say that." I stood up, straightening my tie and running a hand through my hair. "Let's try this again. There are lots of things I don't do, mostly because they're beyond the realm of my abilities or they just don't interest me."

She closed the door and walked back to her desk. She leaned back in her chair and raised an eyebrow at me. "Why our firm?"

I shrugged. "My mother had nothing but good things to say about the work Alice did for one of her parties. I hit Google, found a few more rave reviews, and discovered that you in particular come highly recommended."

" What exactly are you looking for, Mr. Cullen?" She was busy taking notes now. "As far as services go, that is."

I snickered at her clarification. "I need someone to help with the book publicity. There will be a book release party, of course, talk show appearances, probably a newspaper column or two. I was hoping to get a few magazine interviews lined up as well. I hear that's one of your specialties. "

"I certainly have my connections." She put her pen down and looked up at me. "This might be a dumb question, but how much are you looking to spend?"

"There is no such thing as a dumb question." I thought I saw a trace of a faint smile on her lips. 
"And to answer you, the sky is the limit."

"What exactly is this book about, if you don't mind me asking?"

"It teaches young people all about making wise investments at an early age so they can live in comfort when they get older."

"Something you know all about, no doubt." The hardness returned to her eyes.

I steeled under her gaze. "Finance is something I'm good at. I won't apologize for that Bella, not to you or anyone else. I worked hard to get to where I am."

It was her turn to apologize now. "I'm sorry. I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read."

"No, you shouldn't." I looked at my watch and acted like I was in a hurry. "I don't mean to be rude, but I have a lunch thing at noon that I can't miss."

She stood up and walked around the desk. "I'm willing to do your representation, but there's a few things you need to understand. First, I am your publicist, not your friend. Second, no more of that playboy persona in any interviews. I'm putting my neck on the line for you here, I expect you to respect that. Third, you say nothing, and I mean nothing about me to any of the trash rags. It was bad enough seeing my face all over in the tabs after the Guggenheim benefit, I don't want this business partnership to spark any more rumors."

"Consider it done."

"I'll draw up the contracts and have them ready by Friday. Can you meet me here at ten that morning to sign them? And bring me all the information you have on your book, the publisher's name, a copy if you have it already, an overview of it. I need to start getting press releases ready and contacting media outlets."

"Absolutely, I'll be here." I stood up and reached my hand out. "Partners?" She sat for a moment before nodding at me. Palm-to-palm contact would come later I guessed.

"Is there anything else I can do for you Mr. Cullen?"

I nodded. "Call me Edward."

"I'll see you Friday, Edward." She went back to her desk and busied herself with her computer. I walked down the hall feeling a combination of relief and pride. I don't know how I pulled this off but I did.

Operation get-Bella-Swan-to-fall-in-love-with-me was officially underway.

Bella's POV

As soon as I saw the elevator door close I was on the phone with Rose.

"Can you meet me at the deli?" I had no idea why I was whispering.

"Now? I have a meeting with a stylist in an hour."

"Please Rose? I promise, it won't take more than twenty minutes." I pleaded with her. When she sighed I knew she'd given in.

"You so owe me."

I grabbed my purse and ran towards the elevators. Alice wasn't in her office and I thanked my lucky stars for this. I was more than angry with her for pinning Edward on me. No amount of publicity was worth the torture of having to work with him.

I was chain smoking outside when Rose walked up.

"I already ordered for us." I tossed my cigarette into the street and smiled gratefully at Rose. "Thank you for meeting me last minute. I know you're pressed for time, I promise I won't keep you long."

"God Bella, you look like shit. And what is that god awful onion smell?" Rose pinched her nose shut and made a face.

"I just got out of a meeting with Edward Cullen," I sneered. "Can you believe that? Edward 'with-tits-like-those-you-don't-need-to-apologize-for-anything' Cullen just left my fucking office."

Rose grabbed my elbow and steered me to an empty table. "Slow down, slow down. What do you mean you just had a meeting with him? What was he doing there?"

"Alice set it up. Said it was too good of an opportunity for us to pass up. Some bullshit about bringing in business from the Wall Street sector." The waitress took our order and I dropped my forehead on the table.

"She did that?" Rose shook her head in disbelief. "That was awfully bitchy of her. Why didn't she meet with him herself?"

I stabbed my salad a little too forcefully. "Oh, he requested me. Then gave me some bullshit story about how he Googled us and I came highly recommended. I mean, give me a fucking break. He's just trying to torture me after what happened on Saturday."

Rose looked at me thoughtfully, taking a few bites of her burger. "Bella, I love you very dearly so please try not to hit me after I say this. What if he just wants a reputable publicist?"

I'll admit, the thought hadn't crossed my mind. After Saturday I figured Edward was just coming around to try and finish what he unsuccessfully started. Maybe Rose was right though – maybe he really was just looking for someone with a good track record to represent him?

"Alice is reputable too," I pointed out. "You don't get it Rose. It was humiliating to sit there and act normal with him after what happened."

Rose squeezed my hand and gave me a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry honey. I wasn't trying to minimize your feelings. I just think you should give him a chance to prove you wrong, that's all. You never know, you might end up with a new friend when all is said and done."

"I don't think so." I pushed my plate away in disgust. Any appetite I had was gone. "I could kill Alice right now."

"You love me far too much to kill me." I felt a pair of arms wrap around my shoulders in a tight squeeze. I shot Rose a "why did you invite her when I asked you not to?" look but she just shrugged.

"Count your blessings that we're in a public place, Pixie. Otherwise your ass would be grass." Alice slid into the open chair next to me and gave me her infamous pout. Don't give in, don't give in, I thought to myself. Unfortunately the pout always won. I couldn't stay mad at Alice no matter how hard I tried.

"I assume since you're here you didn't kill Cullen either?" Alice grabbed a cucumber slice off my plate and popped it in her mouth.

"I'm representing him."

"Oh wow Bella, I didn't think you'd agree to it!" Alice's eyes lit up. "What's his deal anyway? He was pretty vague with me on the phone."

I paid for our lunch and we headed outside for a cigarette. "He has a book coming out. Some finance thing of course. He hired me to handle everything – promotional press, the book release party, book signings, the whole works."

Rose scoffed. "He has a book coming out? The publishing world must be getting pretty desperate."

I pointed my cigarette at her and smirked. "Great minds think alike! That was my thought exactly!"

"His name alone could buy him a hundred publishing contracts." Alice butted her cigarette and glanced at her watch. "I need to hustle. I have a meeting at one."

"I'm going to be late to meet with the stylists if I don't hurry too." Rose gave us each a hug and peck on the cheek. "I'll text you both later! And don't dwell Bella, everything is going to work out fine."

Alice hugged me as well. "I really am sorry Bella. I should have talked to you when he first called. If it's any comfort, I know Esme Cullen quite well and she'd be more than happy to put her son in his place if he got fresh with you."

"Oh I can handle Edward. Trust me."

Perhaps I was being a bit overconfident.

Somewhere between 34th and 35th street reality hit me. Resisting Edward's charms would be a full-time job in and of itself. Was I even up to the task? I didn't exactly have a ton of experience with men. Sure I'd dated a few and had serious relationships with two others, but they weren't rich, powerful, drop-dead-gorgeous professional players.

Holy shit, this whole situation is way out of my league.

More importantly, unlike any other business partnerships I'd entered into, the media had already tainted this one. If it were to, oh I don't know, end badly, it would be a public spectacle for all of Manhattan to see.

What had I gotten myself into?

Edward's POV

As soon as I got to my car I called Jasper.

"Jasper Whitlock." He belted out his traditional greeting.

"Will there ever come a day when you answer the phone and don't sound like a complete tool?" I gave him grief for this all the time.

"Fuck off. How did the meeting go?"

"You're talking to Bella Swan's newest client." I held the phone away from my ear, telling the driver where to go before continuing my conversation. "It was a lot easier than I expected, she caved pretty quick."

Jasper clicked his tongue. "They drop like flies under your charm."

"What can I say my friend? Years of practice have helped create this New York man monster." I burst out laughing at my own choice of words. "Did you call Alice yet?"

Silence.

"Hello?"

More silence followed by a loud sigh. "Nope I haven't."

"Awe, c'mon man, why not?" Jasper was the kind of guy who looked for love. One-night stands never were his cup of tea.

"I didn't even get a chance to talk to her at the benefit. She'll think I'm some crazy stalker if I just call her out of the blue."

"True. I'll keep my ears peeled when I'm around Bella, maybe we can casually show up at the same place they're at one night or something." I could practically hear the smile on Jasper's face.

"Good thinking! Now I need to get off the phone before Aro rips my head off." Aro was Jasper's editor. He was a good businessman but a first class prick as well.

"I'll see you tonight. Bond 45 at eight right?"

"I'll be there." Jasper clicked off the line as fast as he'd picked it up.

I scrolled trough my phone book until her name was highlighted. Go ahead, make the call, a little voice in my head encouraged. My thumb hovered over the call button for a moment before I locked the screen and shoved the phone in my pocket.

I leaned my head against the seat and closed my eyes. Maybe someday Jessica would forgive me for what I did to her.

I knew I'd never forgive myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment