Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hot Commodity: Chapter 12 - The Test


Characters belong to SM. Everything else belongs to me.

Chapter 12 – The Test

Bella's POV

I turned my phone off after Edward's fifth consecutive call.

Call it childish, but I just didn't feel like talking. I was exhausted and still slightly crabby after 
the Times interview. It wasn't that Edward was an ass to me – he was the exact opposite, in 
fact. What had me so worked up was the fact that it was Thursday and he still hadn't called me 
for anything other than book stuff. According to Alice, now was about the time I should start to 
get worried.

I pulled my hair up in a loose ponytail and shrugged out of my work clothes. I planned on 
spending my evening in sweatpants with a big bowl of popcorn and a humorous Vince Vaughn 
movie.

The universe had other plans for me, however.

Knock, knock, knock.

I let out a disgusted groan and trotted to the door. "I thought I told you I didn't want to go out 
tonight, Alice…" I stopped talking when my eyes fell on the disheveled looking man on the other 
side of the threshold.

"You're home." Edward didn't wait for an invitation to come inside. Instead, he stepped around 
me and leaned against the opposite wall.

"Sure, come on in," I muttered. I closed the door and leaned against it, crossing my arms over 
my chest. "What are you doing here?"

He ran his fingers through his hair nervously and kicked the toe of his Chucks against the wall. 
"I needed to talk to you and you weren't answering. I didn't see any other way."

"Look, Edward, now is really not the best time." I needed him to leave before my will crumbled 
beneath the gaze of his green eyes.

"Do you always answer the door with no shirt on?"

I looked down and gasped when I saw my bare stomach. Sweatpants and a fucking bra? Nice, 
Bella. "Excuse me," I said, sprinting to my room and grabbing the first t-shirt I saw. I took a 
deep breath and tried to fan the blush off my face, but it was no use. I trudged back out to the 
living room where Edward was now sitting on the sofa.

"I wasn't objecting to the wardrobe choice, you know," he teased. A trace of a smile flickered 
across his face.

"What is so important that you had to come all the way across town unannounced?" I was 
irritated; with myself for being so absentminded and with him for thinking it was okay to show 
up whenever he pleased.

"I…" He clasped his hands together and leaned his forearms against his knees. "I owe you an 
apology."

"An apology for what?"

"I owe you an apology for bolting last weekend." He grabbed a framed photo off of my end table 
and examined it carefully. "Is this your mother?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed. I snatched the photo away from him and put it back in its place. "You don't 
owe me anything, Edward. I knew what you were like before I made the stupid decision to ask 
you out. Honestly, I shouldn't have expected anything more."

His head snapped up and anger flashed in his eyes. "You know what you've heard, Bella, and 
with all due respect, I don't have much faith in your sources."

"Really? That's funny, because Emmett has known you for what, ten years, maybe even longer? 
And he has nothing positive to say about the way you conduct yourself when it comes to 
women."

" Emmett hasn't been a permanent fixture in my life since college!" Edward spat out. He stood 
up and fisted his hair. "I'm no saint, Bella, but I also never claimed to be."

"Exactly!" I let out a loud sigh and threw my hands up in exasperation. "You never claimed to be 
anything, therefore you have nothing to apologize for. So, now that we've solved that, you can 
feel free to go home and leave me to the rest of my night."

"God damnit, Bella!" He whirled around and fixed me with a stare. "I'm trying to tell you I'm 
sorry for acting like a tool and you keep throwing everything back in my face!"

I chewed nervously on my lip, unsure of how to respond. Wasn't this what I wanted? For him to 
fall at my feet and admit he'd made a stupid mistake when he'd left last Saturday?

"Did you apologize to all the others?"

"What are you talking about? What others?"

"The other girls you've been with. Did you apologize to them too?"

He ran a hand through his hair and slumped his shoulders. His eyes met mine and I saw nothing 
but naked honesty staring back at me. "No. Never." He took two steps toward me, never 
averting his gaze. "I've never wanted to apologize before. I never felt like what I was doing was 
wrong."

I swallowed hard. "It surprises me that your eyes aren't brown, because I'm pretty sure you're 
completely full of shit right now." I made a mental note to thank my dad for that line the next 
time I saw him.

"No, I'm not full of shit – I'm sorry." He still hadn't looked away.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I wanted to believe him. In fact, I'd never wanted to 
believe anyone more. But Rose's words kept echoing in the back of my mind: "I don't think 
Edward deserves to get off the hook without doing his fair share of groveling."

"I appreciate that you took the time to come all the way over here and do this in person, but I 
really just want to be left alone for the night." I motioned for the door. "I don't think that's 
asking too much."

Edward stared at me in silence before finally giving in. "Alright." He stuffed his hands in his 
pockets and started down the front hall, but turned abruptly when he was just a few inches away 
from me. "Can I at least take you out to dinner tomorrow night and discuss this more?"

"I have plans tomorrow night," I replied automatically. It was a lie, but he didn't need to know 
that.

"What about Saturday?"

"This isn't a good weekend for me." I focused my attention on my bare feet, knowing full well 
that if I allowed myself to look into his eyes I'd give in and agree to go out with him.

"Then I guess I'll see you next week." He turned and left, closing the door softly behind him.

I sat on the floor of the hall and pulled my legs back against my chest. I rested my chin against 
my knees and let myself get lost in my thoughts.

I was clearly testing Edward. Why else would I drag this out any longer than necessary? Yes, I 
was testing him to see if there was any truth behind his words. If he were any other guy, I 
probably would have eaten up everything he said and invited him to stick around for a few 
hours. Unfortunately he wasn't any guy, and I knew that despite Alice's optimistic attitude about 
the possibility of a romance budding, I had to heed Rose's words of caution about him.

Edward Cullen could say he was sorry all he wanted.

When he took the time to show how sorry he was … well, that's when I'd start to believe him.

- = - HC - = -

The weekend finally arrived and, contrary to what I told Edward, I had absolutely nothing 
penciled in on my schedule.

Since I didn't often have the luxury of a wide-open Saturday morning, I decided to take 
advantage of it and spend my time relaxing and looking at paint colors. My landlord had finally 
given me the green light to do some interior design work, and I couldn't think of a better time to 
get started. I needed a project to keep my mind off of Edward.

I had just gotten settled in my favorite oversized armchair with a cup of coffee and the Ralph 
Lauren Home site pulled up on my laptop when my cell rang.

"Happy Saturday, daaaaahling." I didn't even get my entire greeting out before the giggles 
started.

"Isabella Marie Swan, where have you been hiding for the past few weeks?" I giggled even 
harder when I heard Mike's tone. He couldn't sound angry no matter how hard he tried.

"Whatever do you mean?"

"You know what I mean, you little hussy!" Mike lowered his voice. "Is he there right now?"

Fucking Alice. "Is who here?"

Mike let out a disgusted sigh. "You know who, Bella – Edward Cullen! Word on the street is that 
you've been secretly shacking up with him."

"You mean Alice told you I was shacking up with him?"

Silence.

"I knew it! That woman couldn't keep a secret if her life depended on it!" I exclaimed, rolling my 
eyes even though Mike couldn't see me.

"Maybe not her life, but if the life of Jasper's disco stick depended on it, I bet she'd keep those 
lips sealed!"

I choked on my coffee and it went shooting out my nose and all over the computer screen. "I 
wasn't aware that Alice had seen Jasper's disco stick."

"Hold on a second." I heard lots of noise in the background and then Mike was yelling. 
"Someone HELP ME, PLEASE!"

Mike did shit like this all the time. I'd bet fifty dollars that he was leaning over the side of his 
balcony screaming at innocent bystanders on the street right now. "What the hell is going on 
over there?"

"Someone needs to come rescue me from the brigade of pigs that just went flying past my 
window!" I sat in confused silence until he continued. "Alice Erickson told me something before 
she told you. This is unheard of."

"And now I'm going to have to call little Ms. Alice and tell her something myself."

"Now is probably not the best time, Swan. I'm pretty sure she's at home with her feet kicked up 
and her vag on ice." Mike chuckled and clicked his tongue.

"I'm not sure if that last part is good or bad, but it certainly doesn't sound pleasant." I slid my 
laptop onto the ottoman and headed to the kitchen for some napkins. "As much as I love our 
usual banter, I have to ask – to what occasion do I owe this call?"

Mike dropped his voice back down to a whisper. "Rosalie enlisted me to go to a tasting with her 
at the catering company she hired for Emmett's party. I need backup. We all know how she gets 
when she's on these types of missions."

"I heard that!" Rose called out in the background.

I groaned. "I paid my dues in the surprise party department two weeks ago when I sat and 
addressed a zillion invitations. Isn't there anyone else who can go with you?"

"No, there isn't." Irritation crept into his voice. "Short Stop is busy doing the walk of shame – 
or, in her case, the dance of delight – around her apartment and I don't dislike any of my co-
workers enough to subject them to our favorite fashion designer before noon on a Saturday."

I sighed and dropped back down onto my chair. "You owe me, Newton. Dinner and drinks 
sometime next week."

"Thank fuck! That I can manage."

"You're going to have to give me time to get ready. I'm still in my pajamas over here."

Mike laughed wickedly. "You've got a half hour sweetie pie."

I resisted the urge to belt out a string of profanities and said my goodbyes to Mike instead.

I crossed the room and peeked out my window. A light snow was falling; autumn in the city had 
officially come to an end. At least I have an excuse to put those Ugg boots Renee sent me for 
my birthday to use. I showered and pulled on a pair of skinny jeans and an oversized grey 
sweater. I dusted my face with a light coat of makeup, grabbed my purse, and made my way 
downstairs to meet my friends in the lobby.

"I'm impressed!" Mike gave me a hug and kissed both my cheeks before stepping back and 
looking me over. "Not bad for thirty minutes."

"I only need a half hour, unlike this diva over here," I teased, pointing at Rose. She stuck her 
tongue out at me and flipped me off.

"This diva you speak of is in a terrible mood because I told her we could walk the four blocks 
from here to the catering company instead of wasting gas and her driver's time." Mike lit a 
cigarette and took a long a long drag, casting a sideways glance at Rose. "You'd think someone 
took her fucking gold card away."

"I'm sorry if I don't feel like walking when this disgusting shit is falling from the sky." Rose had 
never been a fan of winters. It always amazed me that she stayed in the Northeast after school 
was finished. I knew she had the resources to move anywhere she wanted, but at the end of the 
day I figured it would bother her too much to be away from Alice and I. We were the glue that 
held one another to the area.

I put my arm around Rose and squeezed her shoulders. "You'll survive, tootse. Spring always 
comes back around."

We managed to make it three blocks before Mike's curiosity got the best of him and he asked 
about Edward.

"I think it's time you brought me up to speed on your new found sex life, Iz." Mike tossed his 
cigarette into the street and looped his arm through mine. "To tell you the truth I'm a little 
disappointed that you didn't call me after it happened."

"It's not a big deal. Honestly, it happened twice and that was it." I didn't miss the look that 
crossed Rose's face.

"Not a big deal? Please, bitch – it's a huge deal! Your lady parts were on fucking hiatus for how 
long? They're probably jumping with joy that you finally allowed them to have some fun!"

"They'd probably be happier if Bella had found someone respectable to do the horizontal mambo 
with." Leave it to Rose to put it all out there.

I sighed. "I think we've already established the fact that sleeping with him was a mistake. Let's 
just move on and pretend it never happened."

"Wait a second – it happened twice and then what? Did you guys go out again?" Mike could be as 
bad as a prepubescent teenage girl at times.

I shook my head. "Nope. He bolted after the last time."

"Did he ever call you?" Rose was trying her hardest to feign disinterest, but it was clear she was 
as curious as Mike was about my and Edward's relations.

I still hadn't told Rose about Edward stopping by on Thursday to apologize. I also hadn't told her 
about the gorgeous flower arrangement he'd sent to me yesterday. After her outburst last 
weekend I wasn't sure if she even wanted to hear anything more. Apparently she did.

"He showed up at my house on Thursday after work to apologize."

Mike stopped and spun me around to face him, bringing Rose with since my arm was still 
wrapped around her shoulders. Her heels slid on the slippery pavement and a moment later all 
three of us were in a pile in the middle of the sidewalk. Mike and I began laughing immediately.

"Michael Ramsey Newton, you better be six fucking blocks away by the time I get up because 
I'm going to kick your pretty little ass all the way to Brooklyn!" Rose fired off before bursting 
out laughing herself.

"N-n-none," Mike sputtered out, choking on his laughter, "of this would have happened had you 
not decided to wear heels when it's clearly snowing outside."

"I didn't think I'd be walking outside in the snow in heels, jack ass." Rose pushed herself off the 
ground and grabbed my hand to help me up. She kicked Mike's butt with the toe of her shoe 
before giving him some assistance as well.

Mike rolled his eyes and turned to face me, placing a hand on one of his hips and tapping his 
foot impatiently. "Back to the good stuff – Edward actually came over to apologize?"

I nodded.

"And…?" Rose sidled up next to Mike and fixed me with a stare.

"I told him I appreciated his apology but I wanted him to leave," I said with a shrug. Mike's jaw 
dropped while Rose smirked in satisfaction.

"That's my girl. I'm so glad you didn't let him off the hook like Alice suggested."

Mike swatted Rose's shoulder. "Stop that! Do you not understand the importance behind this? 
Edward Cullen doesn't apologize to anyone for anything he does. In fact, I'm pretty sure the 
sincerity gene never made it into any of his chromosomes."

"He sent me flowers too," I added. Now there were two sets of dropped jaws and wide eyes on 
me.

"My God, Bella, grab that man and run away with him before he remembers what an asshole 
he's supposed to be!" Mike looped his arm through mine again and we resumed our trek to the 
caterer.

"You haven't called him or anything?" Rose furrowed her brow in confusion.

"I don't know what to say. Part of me wants to believe he's sorry and part of me is convinced 
this is just a bullshit show he's putting on."

"Do you really think he'd go to all that trouble just to put on a show? I mean, what kind of 
motives would he have to have to do something like that?" Mike stopped and held the door open 
for both of us.

"Who says he has motives at all? He could just be doing this for fun. I wouldn't put it past him to 
turn this into some sort of game." Rose shook the moisture out of her hair and shrugged out of 
her coat.

"Hence, the reason I haven't called."

Mike held his hand out and took our coats. Twenty minutes later we were seated at a large table 
surrounded with various appetizers and desserts. Rose always went all-out when she threw a 
party. Since she was head over heels for Emmett, she'd kicked it up a few gears for this 
occasion.

Two hours and too much food later, Rose had successfully decided on a party menu and Mike 
and I had decided we might need to get bigger sized pants.

"Are you going home for Thanksgiving?" Mike asked me while we waited for Rose's driver to 
pick us up. I shook my head and adjusted the collar on my pea coat.

"Plane ticket prices sky rocketed before I remembered I needed to get one. Besides, with 
Edward's book release coming up, I can't afford to take a vacation."

"You can come to my parents' place with me," Rose offered. "Bree is bringing her fiancée to 
meet the extended family for the first time, so there's sure to be some entertainment."

"Or you can get trashed and go to the parade with me," Mike said with a wink. Several years 
ago we'd both decided to spend the holidays in the city together instead of returning to our 
respective hometowns. We stayed up the night before drinking and by the time we made it to 
the parade, Mike was so drunk that he threw up all over the shoes of one of New York's finest. 
He spent the rest of the day in detox and I slept the day away at home.

I followed my two friends into the back of the car and pulled the door closed behind me. The 
snow had picked up and was coming down in fat, fluffy flakes. "Or I could stick to my original 
plans and stay home and enjoy some Chinese take out and a good movie."

"Fine, lame-o. I am demanding you be my date for this surprise party on Friday night, 
however." Mike nudged me with his elbow.

"I'm not sure if that's possible. In case you didn't notice, there's a whole line of potential suitors 
waiting outside my apartment building." Sarcasm hung from my every word.

"You've been in a monogamous relationship with this gay boyfriend for the past six years, 
cupcake. I laid stake on the contingency plans a long time ago."

I laughed and rested my head on Mike's shoulder. "Of course I'll be your date! Who the hell else 
would I go with?"

"That's what I thought," Mike said smugly, slipping his arm around my shoulders and giving me 
a hug.

"This should be thoroughly amusing given the fact that Cullen will be at the party." Rose's eyes 
sparkled with mischief.

"Oh please. Cullen is a pussy who apparently runs away from pussy. He might as well come 
over to the dugout for my team."

I giggled, imagining how Edward would react if Mike were to actually say that to him.

"Have I told the both of you how much I love you?"

They both looked over at me and grinned.

I grinned too, at their ridiculous expressions and at the overwhelming happiness that now 
occupied every inch of available space in my chest.

It didn't matter how foolish Edward, or any other man in my life for that matter, chose to 
behave. I was surrounded by an incredible group of people who would not only pull me through 
my down times, but would also be there cheering for me when I came out on top in the end.

Paint swatches and lazy mornings might be two of my favorite things, but time spent with my 
closest friends would always occupy the top spot on my list.

Alice's POV

Where am I?

What day is it again?

Jasper grabbed my ankle and pulled me to the edge of the bed. I threw my arms over my head 
and giggled while my body moved along the soft fabric of his sheets.

Mmmmmm…

Jasper's POV

Jesus, my thighs hurt.

Everything hurts. The good kind of hurt.

What time is it? Is it dark again already? Maybe we should try to get some sleep.

Alice's fingertips danced up the outside my thigh and across my stomach. She slipped her leg 
over mine and sat up on top of me, dragging her hand lower until she found what she was 
looking for.

A smile spread across her face and her tired eyes danced with excitement.

Man, it's going to be a long night…

Edward's POV

It was official – Bella Swan was slowly unhinging me.

Friday night I elected to go to my parents' place and watch a movie with my mom instead of 
going out for drinks with a group of guys from the office. Saturday I roamed around the shops in 
her neighborhood in hopes of running into her, but by three in the afternoon I got discouraged 
and went home to clean my apartment. Sunday I updated all my clients' portfolios, went for a 
ridiculously long jog in Central Park, and decided to turn in early since there was nothing good 
on TV.

I couldn't remember the last time I'd had such a sterile weekend.

I thought for sure Bella would call me at some point. Yes, she was mad when I showed up at her 
place unannounced, but I'd sent her a flower arrangement on Friday afternoon and I thought that 
might soften her up just a bit. I figured after she had a day or two to cool off and think about 
things she might pick up the phone.

When Tuesday rolled around and I still hadn't heard from her, I decided to pick up her favorite 
morning beverage along with an assortment of bagels and fruit from Dean and Deluca, and 
surprise her at her office with breakfast.

It was I who got a surprise, however, when I literally ran into Embry Call, my publisher, on my 
way into Bella's office.

"Edward! What are you doing here?"

I dropped the Dean and Deluca bag next to my feet and reached out to balance the drink carrier 
I was holding before any more of our lattes could spill. "Dropping in to check on the party 
planning preparations. What are you doing here?"

"I just had to come by and finalize a few things with Bella before the big day." Embry clamped 
his hand down on my shoulder and smiled at me.

"What kind of things?"

"Oh, just a few important details. I'm sure she'll fill you in."

This was odd. Bella and Embry had met several times, but always in my presence and Bella 
always told me about it in advance. I hope she's not pawning me off on a different publicist.

"Listen, I have to run, but take care and I'll see you at the release party next week!" Embry 
gave my shoulder a squeeze and headed out to join the rest of the Manhattan morning crowd.

I stared after him in confusion for a few minutes before grabbing the Dean and Deluca bag and 
heading for the elevator. I smiled at the receptionist and made my way back to Bella's office.

"Knock, knock." I poked my head inside and saw Bella standing across the room facing the 
window. Her arms were crossed over her chest and she had a blank expression on her face.

"It's about time you got-" Bella stopped when she turned and saw me standing there. I smiled 
and held up my goods.

"I brought breakfast," I said, placing the items on the table in front of her desk.

"I see that." She walked around the desk and perched herself against the edge of it. "We didn't 
have a meeting this morning, did we?"

I stuffed my hands in my pockets. "Nope, no meeting. Although I must admit, I'm a bit curious 
as to why Embry was here this morning?"

"You saw him?" She looked panicked, but only for a brief moment.

"I ran into him in the lobby. He said something about having you fill me in on the details." I took 
a seat at the table and started to pull items out of the bag.

I watched as Bella stood in silence, clearly contemplating the situation and how she wanted to 
proceed. She finally took a deep breath and pulled out the chair across from me, sitting down 
and grabbing one of the lattes from the drink carrier.

"I just wanted to know if it would be possible for you to sign some extra books." She grabbed a 
bagel and one of the containers of sliced fruit I'd set out on the table. "I got a call from someone 
at Barnes and Noble today and they wanted signed copies for their store near the Financial 
District."

"Wow." I shook my head in amazement. I couldn't believe this was all really coming together. "I 
don't know if I've ever really said this before, but thank you. For everything you've done with 
the book. It seems like such a short time to accomplish this much."

Bella waved her hand in front of her face dismissively. "I'm used to it. Thank you for breakfast, 
by the way. Can I ask what inspired this?"

I finished chewing my piece of honeydew melon and shrugged. "Honestly, I just wanted to see 
you."

Bella stiffened and set down her plastic fork. "That's … nice," she said, taking a sip of her coffee 
and glancing at the clock.

"Am I keeping you from something?"

"No. I just don't know what to say." She looked at me and chewed on her bottom lip.

"You don't have to say anything, Bella." I grabbed a bagel for myself and spread some cream 
cheese across it. "I just wanted you to know why I'm here."

An awkward silence fell over the room. Bella was the one to break it. "Are you coming to 
Emmett's surprise party on Friday night?"

I nodded. "Jasper's making me go."

"Don't you want to?"

"Rosalie doesn't want me to."

"Did she tell you that?"

I chuckled. "No, but I wouldn't put it past her. I was the last person to get an invitation and I 
didn't get one until last Friday."

Bella rolled her eyes. "Don't take it personally. Rose can be rather childish when she wants."

"I'm guessing you'll be there on Friday, too?"

"Of course. Rose is making me."

Another silence fell over us while we finished our breakfast. Before I could stand, Bella was up 
collecting the trash and disposing of it. I wasn't sure what inspired me to blurt out my next set 
of words.

"How would you like to be my date to Emmett's party?"

Bella stopped and turned to face me. She looked shocked, but I detected a hint of something 
else – satisfaction perhaps – in her features. "Why do you need a date? It's a birthday party for 
your friend."

"Why not have one?" I stood and took a few steps towards her. "Besides, you still haven't given 
me a chance to make up for my poor behavior."

She narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. "I don't recall saying I was going 
to give you a chance to begin with."

This was obviously going to be a lot harder than I thought. "C'mon Bella, go to Emmett's party 
with me. I promise I'll be on my best behavior all night – and we'll go home to our respective 
apartments after."

A small smile danced on her lips. "As much as I appreciate your asking, I already have a date 
lined up for the occasion."

My eyes grew wide. I dipped my hands into my back pockets and rocked back on my heels. "Oh, 
wow, I guess I wasn't expecting that answer."

"I'm guilty of a lot of things, but being predictable isn't one of them." Bella walked around her 
desk and took a seat in her chair.

"That's for sure." I picked my latte up and traced the outline of the lid with my finger. "Do you 
really have a date or is this just some easy way of telling me no?"

She sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "I really do have a date. You'll see for yourself on 
Friday."

Maybe I'd lost my chance. "Well, then I look forward to meeting him on Friday."

"Oh, you've already met him." She turned her attention to her computer. "I really should get 
back to work. Thank you for breakfast – it was a thoughtful gesture."

"You're welcome," I mumbled. I started for the door but turned just before I reached it. "I really 
am sorry, Bella. I know you told me I didn't have to apologize, but I am. Maybe someday you'll 
let me say more on the topic."

"I know you are, Edward." She glanced up at me with curious eyes. "And maybe someday I will."

No comments:

Post a Comment