Sunday, January 1, 2012

Endless Night: Chapter 7 - Firsts



Characters belong to SM. Everything else belongs to me.

Chapter 7 – FIRSTS

Edward's POV

I wasn't sure how to react when I saw Tanya standing in the doorway. I tensed up immediately, which only seemed to put Bella more on edge. I decided the easiest thing to do was get Tanya outside which would hopefully ease some of Bella's nervousness and keep her out of Tanya's line of fire.

"Come with me please?" I whispered, grabbing her wrist. She yanked her arm away from me and stormed out the front door.

"Were you planning on telling me we were through? Or do you delight in my humiliation?" Tanya crossed her arms and blinked back tears. I resisted the automatic urge to reach out and comfort her, stuffing my hands in my pockets instead.

"I was going to talk to you when we were all back at school." I rocked back on my heels, turning my face towards the night sky. "I had no idea you were coming here and I didn't think this conversation should take place over the phone. I didn't want you to find out like this." I wasn't lying to her. As bitter as I was towards Tanya after the way she treated me all these years, I would never want to intentionally mock or hurt her.

"That's because I was planning on surprising you. I even got us tickets to the Seahawks game." 
Tanya stood completely still for a moment and then her entire demeanor changed. She shook her head and chuckled quietly. "I should have known this was coming. It's obvious that the two of you share something you and I never did."

"I love her. I can't explain it, and I would never tell her because it would scare the hell out of her, but it's the truth. " It was an honest answer and at this point I didn't see a reason to hide anything. Several tears fell from Tanya's eyes but she brushed them away quickly. She took a few steps forward, pressing her lips against my cheek softly.

"You deserve to be happy, Edward. If I can't do that for you then you need to be with someone who can." She turned and headed for her car. I followed her to the edge of the porch, confused as hell.

"Why are you not punching me in the face or trying to rip my hair out or screaming at me right now?" I didn't understand what she was doing. The Tanya I'd said goodbye to before winter break would have thrown daggers at Bella and probably chased me through the yard with a pitchfork after walking in on a scene like the one in my living room. This Tanya … She was utterly calm and collected, and seemed almost … happy?

"Don't be silly Edward. I only want to see you smile. If she does that for you then you both have my blessing." Before I could say anything else, Tanya climbed in her SUV and took off down the driveway. I stood frozen in place for what felt like an eternity before I felt Bella's arm slip around me.

"Are you okay?" Her voice was small and slightly shaky. I could tell she was worried and I instantly felt guilty for leaving her waiting inside after Tanya left.

"I'm perfect now." I turned to face her, pulling her to me and kissing the top of her head. She laid her cheek against my chest and I ran my fingers through her silky hair.

"How mad is she?"

I pulled back, cupping Bella's face in my hands. I looked in her eyes, wanting nothing more than to ease the anxiety that was swimming in them. "She gave us her blessing."

The anxiety was replaced with shock. "What? Why would she do that?"

"I have no idea. It's not like her at all and honestly, it concerns me." I tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and grabbed her hand, gesturing to the front door. "We should go back inside. I'm sure the others are wondering what's going on."

Sure enough, Alice, Rosalie, and Carlisle were waiting in the foyer. I steeled myself for the inevitable barrage of questions. Alice was the first to speak.

"Did you tell her the truth?"

"Did that bitch cry? I hope she cried." Rose smirked.

"Will everything be okay when you return to school?" Of course Carlisle had the most logical question.

"Slow down, slow down." I ran my hands through my hair and sighed. "I told her it was over, which she was already quite aware of after walking in. She shed a few tears but nothing extraordinary. And since she gave us her blessing I think it's safe to assume everything will be just fine when we get back to Seattle on Thursday."

The last sentence stopped them in their tracks. Rose's jaw dropped, Alice's eyes narrowed, and 
Carlisle scratched his chin in thought. Bella stood a few feet away from me, her gaze moving back 
and fourth between myself and my family members.

"Blessings? Are you fucking kidding me? Blessings coming from a woman who spent the last two years threatening you and this family every time you tried to leave her?" I winced as the words left Rosalie's mouth. I hadn't told Bella any details about my relationship with Tanya. I hadn't told her the truth about my family and what we were either. Of course Rose didn't know this, but now I was going to have to tell her, and probably on the drive back in a few days.

"Threats? What is she talking about?" Bella crossed her arms over her chest and shook her head in confusion. I took a few steps towards her and took her in my arms, running my hands up and down her back.

"I'll explain everything to you later," I whispered in her ear. She nodded against me and I knew she understood.

"As much as I'd love to sit here and mindfuck the hell out of this situation, Bella and I are going to go to Port Angeles for dinner and a movie. Don't wait up for us." I gave Alice a pointed look before handing Bella her coat. "Are you ready sweetheart?" She nodded and I led her outside.

"Are we really going to Port Angeles? " she asked when we were seated in my car.

"Absolutely. I think a proper first date is in order."

"Edward, I'm not even dressed appropriately for a date." I glanced over at her and couldn't help but smile. She was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt and had no makeup on. She was wearing her glasses and her hair was pulled back in a messy ponytail.

"Shhh. You look beautiful." I lifted her hand to my face, kissing her palm before entwining my fingers with hers. I was going on a date with the real Bella. This was the Bella I'd met for the first time in the dorms four months ago. This was the Bella that my sister and Rose were lucky enough to know and see, but that I'd never had any real chance to experience.

In that moment I felt like the luckiest man in all of Washington.

Bella's POV

My leg kept bouncing embarrassingly despite my repeated attempts to sit still. We were seated in the back of the movie theater in Port Angeles and as much as I tried, I just couldn't seem to relax.

So much had happened over the course of the last two days and I was having a hard time processing it. I thought for sure when Edward told me things were over between him and Tanya on New Years 
Eve that he'd already ended it with her. I thought it contributed to her decision to spend winter break in Alaska as opposed to Forks. I had no idea he'd kept his feelings for me a secret from her and no idea that he wasn't planning on making them public until we got back to school.

I don't know why this bothered me, but it did. Probably because I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of things like Tanya was. I felt a brief flash of sympathy for her but it was gone as quick as it came. I just hope that Tanya's blessing didn't turn to bitterness once we were all confined to the same college campus once again. I wonder if USC wants any transfers for next fall, I thought absentmindedly.

Then there was the thing Rose said earlier about Tanya threatening the Cullen family. I tried asking Edward about it during the car ride to Port Angeles but he wouldn't budge, telling me we would discuss it when the time was right. I was slightly worried that some of these threats had something to do with me, and I didn't want any of the Cullens in danger just because their youngest son and I had joneses for each other. Tanya seemed innocent enough but her eyes served as a clear indication that she could cause a whole lot of damage if she chose to.

"Are you okay?" Edward's breath tickled my neck. I glanced his direction and nodded. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me close to him. I spent the remainder of our time in the theater thinking of ways to get Tanya to transfer schools and not paying one bit of attention to the movie.

After we were outside Edward gently pushed me up against the building. His hands were planted firmly on the wall on either side of my head and his face was just inches away from mine. "What's going on inside that head of yours?"

I couldn't concentrate on anything with him that close to me. Instead of answering, I leaned forward and pressed my lips against his hungrily. A soft moan escaped him and I felt his mouth open and our tongues intertwine. He tasted like cigarettes and spearmint and this turned me on even more. I grabbed his hair with both hands and clung to him, nibbling on his lip and giving him tiny chaste kisses between the deeper ones.

"I would be lying if I said I didn't love your method for distracting me." He left a trail of kisses along my jaw before pressing his lips against my neck and sucking lightly. "You never answered my question though."

"Mmmm can't I answer after dinner?"

"I suppose that's fair enough. I can pick your brain on the way back to Forks." He planted a final kiss on my forehead before grabbing my hand and pulling me away from the wall. I followed him down the street to a small restaurant tucked away between a comic book shop and an old fashioned 
apothecary.

"What are you feeling like?" He gazed at me over the top of his menu. His caramel colored eyes were filled with lust and longing.

I skimmed my own menu, too nervous and excited to order a full meal. I still couldn't believe I was here on a date with Edward. I resisted the urge to pinch myself. "I think I'll just have a side salad."

"You don't have to do that with me you know." He set the menu down and took my hand in his. 
"Pretend to be some stereotypical girl who loves makeup and fashion and hates eating full meals. I know that's not you."

Butterflies danced in my stomach. He cares about you, I thought to myself. I'd known this already after our conversation last night, but his words now only proved it more. "If I wasn't so nervous I could puke right now I promise you I'd eat plenty more. Probably a whole meal and a salad."

His head tipped back in laughter. "What on earth are you nervous about, sweet Bella?"

I gestured to him and table in front of me. "This. Us. I've never experienced this before. "

"A date?"

"Yes." My cheeks darkened in a fiery blush.

"You can't tell me you didn't have guys knocking down your door in California. You're exquisite, Bella, in every way. I don't know how anyone could resist you." His words only made me blush more. The waitress brought us our drinks and took our order. His eyes never left my face.

"I had offers. They just never felt right." I searched his eyes expecting to see sympathy or rejection but all I found was adoration and understanding. "I spent this past summer with a guy named Mike, but it wasn't anything serious. Mostly we slept all day and partied on the beach all night."

He chuckled softly. "Typically California summer activities, no?"

"When your mom gives you the key to her beach house instead of making an effort to spend any real time with you, then yes, that's a typical summer activity." I winced after I spoke the words. I wasn't looking for pity. I was only trying to be honest.

"Your mother did that?" His voice was filled with sadness. I took a deep breath and nodded, meeting his gaze.

"I haven't had a mother since she got re-married," I said quietly. This was always difficult for me to talk about, regardless of who my audience was. "Phil – my stepfather – is quite wealthy. As soon as we moved in with him my fun-loving, hippyish mom turned into a money-hungry, status-obsessed bitch. I didn't even recognize who she was anymore. Her priority shifted from me to Phil and country club luncheons and charity events. It was so ridiculous. I grew up quick, learned how to take care of myself, and eventually decided the best way to feel better was to move closer to Charlie."

The waitress brought our food and we ate in silence for a few minutes. Edward eventually put down his napkin and leaned towards me.

"I don't know how anyone could turn their back on you Bella, especially your mother. You're an amazing person, which I don't think you give yourself enough credit for, and to think that someone could hurt you so terribly and be fully aware of it … That pains me more than you'll ever know."

I stared at him in awe, wondering how it was that I got so lucky as to have him sitting across the table from me. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I'd find such perfection when I moved to Washington. I'd done the right thing and moved for my own reasons, but now my desire to stay in Seattle wasn't just about me – it was about him too. I knew at that moment that going forward we'd always be intertwined in one way or another.

"You don't have to feel bad for me, Edward," I said gently. "Two years ago I accepted the fact that my mom would never be the person I needed her to be. Besides, I have so many wonderful people in my life - Charlie, your family, the tribe … and you. I wouldn't change anything from my past, except for maybe telling you how I felt earlier instead of bottling it up like this."

We spent the rest of our meal in silence, enjoying our food and one another's company. When we were seated in his car ready to head back to Forks, Edward took my hand in his and squeezed it gently. He massaged my wrist with his thumb and looked at me with the most sincere expression a person had ever given me.

"I hope I don't disappoint you Bella. That's my greatest fear right now."

I blinked back tears and reached out to cup his cheek in my palm. "You could never disappoint me Edward. It's impossible."

We drove back to Forks hand-in-hand under the cover of the Washington sky. Edward knew how to treat a lady, and knew I would always remember this as the best first date I'd ever had. Five months, one semester, and hours of confusion had finally brought this incredible man to me.

I was his.

He was mine.

In this moment, that was all I needed to know.

Tanya's POV

The rain pounded hard on my windshield, but it didn't slow me down. Adrenaline and anger coursed through me, and they were pushing me towards Seattle with a speed I'd never known before.

He chose her. Her.

For the first time in my life a man let me go. And this was no man. It was Edward. My mate. My other half. My Edward.

I knew I should have paid closer attention to what was going on between the two of them. I should have understood that her attempts to ignore him were nothing but cleverly thought out tactics intended to make him even more interested in her. I should have stepped up my game and told my parents I needed to be in Forks for winter break instead of spending my time in Alaska.

But I hadn't. I was overconfident. I thought the threats of violence and exposure were enough to keep him in my arms. I thought he understood that if he ever left me his life was over. Not in a literal sense, but I had every intention of doing whatever it took to destroy him emotionally and mentally.

I pulled into a parking spot outside the dorm and cut the engine. I smashed my fist violently against the dashboard, leaving a gaping hole in the vinyl. I couldn't let Edward see this anger. I had to continue to fool him into believing I was happy for him and Bella. I had to act like nothing phased me and I had to move on and into a new relationship.

That was the only way I'd ever have access to Bella.

And Bella was the one thing I could use to destroy Edward.

No comments:

Post a Comment